MK-BREED Q & A

randy

I've passed the question about his parameters and his set up after the questions were posted. He said he will write up his answer and I will translate to English.

What would be an estimate price for ss grade shrimp?

His grading is not by pattern (S/SS/SSS) but by quality (mainly shell thickness and whiteness, quality of the colour, and leg coverage) . There are four grades that will be made available to North America next month plus a special grade (that are at the same grade of that famous one in the net). In each of the grade you will get different patterns (S/SS/SSS).

The pricing model may change but the normal 4 will be roughly $22, $50, $300, $1000+. The ones for $300 will come with a certificate without a photo, anything higher will come with a certificate with the particular shrimps. Also, all with photo certificates will be sold individually with photos available online, you get the exact shrimp you want.

I've passed the question about his parameters and his set up after the questions were posted. He said he will write up his answer and I will translate to English.

His grading is not by pattern (S/SS/SSS) but by quality (mainly shell thickness and whiteness, quality of the colour, and leg coverage) . There are four grades that will be made available to North America next month plus a special grade (that are at the same grade of that famous one in the net). In each of the grade you will get different patterns (S/SS/SSS).

The pricing model may change but the normal 4 will be roughly $22, $50, $300, $1000+. The ones for $300 will come with a certificate without a photo, anything higher will come with a certificate with the particular shrimps. Also, all with photo certificates will be sold individually with photos available online, you get the exact shrimp you want.

Is there anyway you can give me an example of $50, and $300 shrimp. Im still debating on what i should get.

Thank You

Is there anyway you can give me an example of $50, and $300 shrimp. Im still debating on what i should get.

Thank You

Will PM you the info.

I'm interested with this info too.

PM'd. Anyone interested can PM me. I'll try to get the information at one of the sponsor's link and get one for MK's product.

one more question to MK.

as a professional photographer, MK takes stunning shrimp photos. would he mind to share some tips and setup he is using?

Sorry for the slow response....MK gave me the information but I have been busy during the past weekend, here are the answers to the previous question.

MK's PRL Tank Parameters: GH2, PH6, TDS 80-90.

Tank Setup Procedure:
- Lay a think layer of substrate.
- Spread about 15g of MK-BREED Silver Powder.
- Then lay another layer of fine substrate.
- Flatten the substrate.
- In the canister, fill with filter media, add another 15g of the MK-BREED Silver Powder in the canister.
- Fill the tank with RO, turn on the canister filter.
- After one day (tank water should be clear), dump the remainder of the MK-BREED Silver Powder in the tank water.
- Then do weekly water change and add 1 spoon of MK-BREED Golden Powder.
- Also use MK-BREED Blue Diamond to boost the GH and other minerals, plus MK-BREED Blood Diamond for trace and mineral supplements.
- Use MK-BREED Life Balls to stablize the water and suppress algae growth.

Cooling-wise (it gets very hot in Taiwan), I use air conditioner 24hr/day.

Substrate, I use ADA fine and regular grain substrate.

Plant-wise, I use mainly moss and may use other plants that don't affect shrimp observation.

Decoration-wise, I use drift wood.

one more question to MK.

as a professional photographer, MK takes stunning shrimp photos. would he mind to share some tips and setup he is using?

I asked him the same question long time ago.... he basically has all the equipments that most of us (at least me) won't be able to collect due to $$$. If you don't mind, I'll change your question to his most commonly used equipment list when taking shrimp pictures. And if he has any tips that we can learn from.

I asked him the same question long time ago.... he basically has all the equipments that most of us (at least me) won't be able to collect due to $$$. If you don't mind, I'll change your question to his most commonly used equipment list when taking shrimp pictures. And if he has any tips that we can learn from.

Sound good, I'm pretty much interested what kind of lighting setup to shoot macro photos. ( reflection board, softbox, etc..)

I DIYed an lighting box before, but didn't work the way I want.

I know it's bad to place the flash behind it, does he do front lighting?

Sound good, I'm pretty much interested what kind of lighting setup to shoot macro photos. ( reflection board, softbox, etc..)

Lighting definitely is an important part, especially in macro photography. The image won't be sharp if there's not enough light.

I was talking to MK one day when he was taking some pictures on his tank, he then use his phone to take a picture of the setup to show me, I then gave up trying to do what he does ;-) He did tell me I could get by with much less equipment with little sacrifice, I'll see what he answers to your questions.

GH is pretty low, that surprises me.

I know, I was as shocked as you are a year or so ago. This is not his idea but from someone "up" who didn't want to share this trick until after half a bottle of whisky equivalent ;-)

Hi James, MK uses Cannon 5D2 or 1D4 camera body with Cannon new macro lens when taking shrimp picture. He uses those studio lights (sorry, I don't know the proper term for these, the ones that look like umbrellas) and from top with an angel.

I asked him to share some tricks but he said it's very hard to do this in a few sentences. He suggested to practice with different lighting strength and camera settings and find the best combinations (in the other words....build up experience ;-)

Hi James, MK uses Cannon 5D2 or 1D4 camera body with Cannon new macro lens when taking shrimp picture. He uses those studio lights (sorry, I don't know the proper term for these, the ones that look like umbrellas) and from top with an angel.

I asked him to share some tricks but he said it's very hard to do this in a few sentences. He suggested to practice with different lighting strength and camera settings and find the best combinations (in the other words....build up experience ;-)

Thanks, pretty useful information.

the studio light normally called monolight, I have couple in my garage. I have softbox but no umbrella.

the thing is I have small shrimp tank, so when the light comes from top, the area is relative small compare to big tank, no matter how big is the softbox.

the thing is I have small shrimp tank, so when the light comes from top, the area is relative small compare to big tank, no matter how big is the softbox.

I believe all MK's tank are 3' long ADA tanks on ADA stands, so it's easier for him to set up the equipment that way. We aren't all able to spend that $$$ on the tanks ;-)