Air pump sizing?

Depends on what your plans are with your shrimps. If,you know your making a room with a lot of tanks buy a bigger one. For 6-8 your fine with a couple air pumps.

Is there any correlation between the whisper pump model and the number of filters it can run, ie whisper 20 = 2 sponges, 40 = 4 etc? At what point do you use a commercial grade pump, over 10 outlets?

Honestly it depends on you.  Some people like to have the bubbles so high you could surf on them.  I don't do it that high because I think it bothers my shrimp.  How much you can tee off depends on how much air you have per sponge, how deep in the water they are located, how long the air hose is, and what levels they are on.  I think you could run 4-8 double sponges from a whisper 20 easy.

I went with a commercial pump after I had electrical cords all over and more than 6 pumps going.  At that time I said to myself it was crazy doing it that way, and bought an Alita 60.  It's currently running 60+ tanks....of course now I have air hoses all over. LOL

I agree it's a good idea to have a backup, but I feel that the better models are more robust as well as having the capacity to run multiple things. They also tend to be quieter. I'd probably go with two for 8 sponge filters, and ditch the Whisper model for something better quality.

I will do multiple air pump vs single one. reason is simple.

Reliability.

My old central air I ran for 4 years and never had a fault once. Never shut it off either. I keep a few backups just n case. Also have a rebuild kit for my pump. For the cost of running one single pump is much cheaper than 5 singles

Ya I need to upgrade mine.

I brought a cheap one from the hygroponic store when I first setup my room as it was very cheap. But I've noticed over the pass few days he's been making weird noises.

I was thinking about the alita-40 also.

Ya I need to upgrade mine.

I brought a cheap one from the hygroponic store when I first setup my room as it was very cheap. But I've noticed over the pass few days he's been making weird noises.

I was thinking about the alita-40 also.

I went with the 60. Have 20 lines of it and there is still more than enough air.