Bolivian rams

mystiknitelite

Earlier this week, I visited my friendly petsmart. I haven't found better options yet.

While there I bought 4 bolivian rams. Not knowing how to sex them. When I got them settled, I googled until I found my answer. Turns out I got 1 female and 3 males. The female already paired off with one of the lucky males.....

I went to petsmart again today to see if they had other females and they had one more.

So I'm getting the new female ready to go in, I look at my tank to spot the pair....

This is what I find....495e915bf7a2dd0fb6e136ef45b24d48.jpg

fffd1af857abace70eef65837621f742.jpg

Yes... I got babies coming!!! Question folks... anyone with experience.... should I consider moving them when they hatch? Current tank mates are..... other bolivian rams , a golden ram, some creamsicle mollies, guppies, and an African spotted leaf fish. Also tons of snails and a clown loach....

better remove other fishes.

and you may need mcroworm for fry. they are too small to eat baby brine shrimp.

Well.... that might be an issue... anyone close to tri cities area willing to sell me a micro worm culture and instructions to keep it going?

That's the same issue I had before.

I had eggs but can't rise the fry.

order a micro worm culture off aquabid. i love them and raise alot of fry on them. mom is even using them to raise her angels. and keep in mind rams are cichlids and will get mean when the babies start to hatch so keep a close eye on the other fish

I am thinking of doing just that.... I'm also going to start a journal probably in this forum.... I'm not sure how I'm going to separate all the fishies... decisions decisions

Use tank divider if you don't have other tank.

I'd take the eggs/babies out and raise them separately. They're not going to survive in a community tank. And you probably don't want to raise 30 rams in that tank as well. Raise them artificially. Some will take bbs if that's all you have. The survival rate just won't be very good in the first few days. Daily water change in a small container and you should be able to raise them up!

You shouldn't need to. Add an airline with a trickle of bubbles going near the eggs and use an eye dropper to spray some methylene blue directly onto the eggs. They should hatch within two days but will take another four or five days to go free swimming. You'll only need to start changing water once they go free swimming and you start feeding. Keep them in a small container so it's easier to manage. By the way, this is based on my experience with German blue rams. I figured they'd probably be similar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In your case, I would just wait till they're wrigglers and suck them out. Make sure you have your lights on in the community tank so the parents have a chance to defend their eggs. You'll still be risking some or all of the eggs being eaten though. I've had another ram dive towards a batch of eggs regardless of the breeding pair attacking her like mad. I guess ram roe taste that good!