How to cool my tank

I recently purchased some CRS, but we we keep the inside of the house around 80 degrees during the summer.  I have a fluval ebi tank which has an easily removable top.  I was wondering how people cost effectively cool their tank during the summer?  Should I just but a fan and clip it to the tank?

If you go the fan route, have plenty treated replacement water ready made up to top-up any evaporation that will inevitably occur. Also keep a close eye on the nitrates and TDS as they will rise as the water level falls.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like cooler environments.  Looks like fan and replacement water.  I test everything weekly, so that should allow me to catch anything before it gets too bad.

Top off with RO/DI and no additional testing or maintenance should be required.

Use fan with light on/off, then setup heater at 75. top off with RO water daily.

that's what I do.

Frozen soda bottles are another good one. I got a 6pk of those tiny silly plastic sodas (6-8 oz), drank the soda, refilled with ro di water (just incase), frozen them. I then add one to the tank round 11am once its starting to warm up. Keeps my 5-10g tanks nice and stable for a few hours. Really hot days get a second bottle round 3pm...Keeps my tanks (inclyding a reef) a happy 76*-78* thru some ucky hot weather

Frozen soda bottles are another good one. I got a 6pk of those tiny silly plastic sodas (6-8 oz), drank the soda, refilled with ro di water (just incase), frozen them. I then add one to the tank round 11am once its starting to warm up. Keeps my 5-10g tanks nice and stable for a few hours. Really hot days get a second bottle round 3pm...Keeps my tanks (inclyding a reef) a happy 76*-78* thru some ucky hot weather

This is a great idea, I already have plastic freeze packs.  I can fill them with RO water and see if that helps.  Thanks.

I use a fan controlled by a timer. So depending on the temperature of the day I just adjust the on/off cycles. It takes a while to find the best cycle but shouldn't be too hard. My room on the third floor gets to over 80F during the day, and I have been able to keep the tank at 75 (PRL tank). Once in a while it goes over 77 for a few hours but I haven't had any problem so far.

I use a fan controlled by a timer. So depending on the temperature of the day I just adjust the on/off cycles. It takes a while to find the best cycle but shouldn't be too hard. My room on the third floor gets to over 80F during the day, and I have been able to keep the tank at 75 (PRL tank). Once in a while it goes over 77 for a few hours but I haven't had any problem so far.

Agree with randy.

I found that using fans is the most efficient.

Just this past weekend I unknowingly allowed my Taiwan Bee tank to creep up to 78 during the day. Too much cooking and bodies inside the house I suppose. Anyways, using the fan below, I was about to drop 78drgrees down to 71degrees (heater had to kick in to warm the tank).

ymy2a6as.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121015605039

Might be too late as summer is ending since it'll get ship from China and take a week or so, but these little fans are high pressure static fans.

Downside: huge evaporation due to huge air cooling. If toping off isn't an issue, I'd highly recommend these fans for everyone living in a hot state.

I have a couple fans ALWAYS on, not those silly made for tank fans.  I mean a couple of those 7-8" blade turbo desk fans. I mounted them to my rack.

I also use the frozen water bottle trick. couple large bottles go into my sump and then smaller bottles floated in each tank. I'm able to keep my temps down below 75 even in LA heat.

You have to rotate bottles so plan on filing your freezer up.  I've also done this in a pinch but not sure I totally trust it.  I've taken those gel ice packs and put them inside a couple zip lock bags for safety. they tend to melt slower than frozen bottles.

if you are going to spend to $ on a fan get somethign that can move a lot of air.

61xKfzBtZsL._SY355_.jpg