Starting a shrimp tank!

kcoscia

Here is a picture:

Posted Image

specs: Aqueon quietflow 10 with fluval prefilter sponge

tetra ht10 heater

soon to have a dual sponge biofilter

Lighting: 2 14w 5000k CFLs

plants: crypts, anacharis, java fern, java moss, microsword, needle leaf java fern, moss ball

heardscape: cholla wood and inert rocks

planning to house cherries and otos. already houses every snail ever :|

dosing micro/macro, excel and GLA's ultimate GH booster since my GH is literally 0

help me! what do you guys think? what can I change/improve on? I'm taking this slow so I'm sure I'm ready when I make the shrimp purchase

thanks!

I've heard about the wariness of using mircos due to the copper possibility, but not with macros (to an extent). 

I also read about CO2 being difficult, but usually with pH consistency. I only dose 1mL excel daily and my pH is 6.6-6.8 I believe.

My main concerns are water changes. How do you go about them, if at all? And do i REALLY need a TDS meter?

For cherries I would say you do not need a TDS meter.  That being said they are pretty cool and I think you can get them for under $20.  For water changes I just drain my tanks (up to 50% or more sometimes) and then fill them back up with tap water and add some Seachem Safe (powder form of prime).

Just let your tank run for 4-8 week and you should be good to go :)

People have already mentioned CO2 and fert dangers.  Some people are able to handle it pretty well, most people do not find a good balance.  It seems that you made up your mind on that, so I hope you are one of the few that do. :)

Cherries are one of the hardiest of the shrimp world.  They can handle pretty drastic changes.  I only water change between 10-20% at a time because shrimp in general like stable params and not too much stress.  But, everyone has their own routine.

TDS meter is not needed for cherries, but recommended.  It is helpful sometimes for troubleshooting.  Do you have other tests for water params?

Personally, I think cherries are next to indestructible so I don't think a TDS meter is necessary at all, but as Soothing Shrimp said, it can be helpful sometimes.

My experience with cherries that gives me this indestructible impression:

I had a 10g set up with a bunch of java moss and a couple small crypts. When I moved I sold "all" the cherries to someone on craigslist. I figured there were some juvies that were hiding in some nooks and crannies somewhere but I needed to move the tank so I accepted the few losses I may have and drained as much water as I could. I moved the plants to the 55g that I had set up at the new place and put the 10g in a corner with a couple puddles of water and a soggy sand substrate. Three or four weeks later I filled the tank with the intent of setting it up for some CPOs. To my surprise I started seeing cherries pop up all over the place while I was monitoring the tank for a cycle. 

Having said that, even though they are extremely hardy I still second the small water change notion to keep parameters stable. 

If your plants don't need the ferts and CO2 I wouldn't add them to your tank. By the looks of it, you don't need to dose the tank. I made that mistake early on and lost some shrimp to it. Java moss, ferns and moss balls don't need anything special to grow but what they get from a mature tank. I'm pretty sure the other plants you listed are in the same boat. 

I have Hornwort, Java moss and ferns, a moss ball and a few other plants and do not use any fertilizers or CO2 anymore. The plants are growing fine.

Save the money and possible headaches of dosing a low tech tank. 

Yes these are all low light low tech plants, but the tank is also not mature and has practically no bioload for the time being. I'll experiment while I can with nothing in it and we will see. I don't mind the dosing and if it allows the plants to reach their best potential then I will keep doing it BUT shrimp is the priority here.

I have the master test kit and the KH/GH test kit. Tank is cycled I think, with crazy nitrates, like 80+. KH/GH are both 0. I've got the GH additive coming. I'm on the fence with the TDS. They are really cheap on amazon/ebay etc. But at the same time, if I don't need it, it's still money saved.

If you are getting something to raise your GH then it might be worth getting the TDS meter. I start with RO water and add the salty shrimp GH+ to a specific TDS that is 5gh. That way you only have to use your GH test once and then once you know what TDs corresponds with the GH you want you can just measure the TDS and it is much quicker.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I don't mind the GH test though. I'm going to start with that and keep the TDS in mind if I feel like I'll need it.

I got the GH booster today and added a tablespoon which brought my GH up to 6! The thing is a bunch settled on the substrate. Next time I'm gunna premix it in some water first, but for now, it will raise my GH more as it dissolves right?

I'm glad I started this properly and am waiting to add shrimp. Less worry.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Yes it will raise your GH as the GH Booster continues to dissolve. 

I used to test KH and GH but after getting the TDS meter, that is all I use. I also use the Salty Shrimp GH+. It dissolves beautifully and I know exactly how much to add to a gal depending upon the type of shrimp I am doing the water change for. So easy to swipe the meter through the water to monitor the GH. Another thing I do is to use an eraseable marker to keep track of my readings. I just mark it on the outside corner and the next time I take a measurement, I don't have to remember the last measurement. I used to do this with PH, KH and GH when I did more intensive testing.

I was using a paint pen to record when I did water changes on my tanks.  You can just take a razor and scrape it off when you don't need it anymore but it won't accidently wash off if your brush against it or it gets wet.

Those look like little weeds....what are they?  I am not sure what that thing to the right of the mossball is though

I have no idea what my little weeds are but I'm excited for them haha and yes in this tank you will see pond, Malaysian (empty shells too) and ramshorn snails

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk