Starting a shrimp tank!

kcoscia

Picture and amano added update:

Not much has changed except I took the amano from my other tank and put him here because I'm medicating the fish. The sprouts are still taking over. I like them though.

tumblr_mwh00k9eSA1scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

up close sprouts

tumblr_mwh00wPwz41scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

that's a shrimp butt. is he okay in there?

tumblr_mwh011Bld41scbrdfo1_1280.jpg

Those sprouts look like duckweed that has rooted.

they do look like little ducks!

I would replace the cholla but I know how much shrimp enjoy it, so I want it there for them! What if I made it into a different shape? Maybe a pyramid? 

Oh I wasn't suggesting remove the cholla. I like cholla. Perhaps you could just add some vertical driftwood branches. Could make your scape more interesting.

And the sprouts look like duckweed, the annoying floating plant, for sure lol. That might not be what they are but I'll be interested to see what they do and how you got them?

that's the thing. i have no idea how they got here hahaha i do have a tolerable amount of floating duckweed. The difference I noted is the floating duckweed has multiple leaves while the rooted only has two always

The rooted is consistent with any sprout... it has two seed leaves that support the plant until the next set of real leaves take over. The real test is if real leaves develop or if this is as far as it gets because they're under water.

Side note: the amano shrimp I put in here is acting super happy. Better than he was in the other tank. He successfully molted the other night with no issues! He munches on the cholla wood all day. Makes me even more excited to get my cherries and a few more amanos!

• 4 weeks later...