Hi there! ::waves::

ShortGirl

My name is Cayte and I'm newish to shrimp keeping. Around Christmas I had been reading about keeping shrimp for awhile and actually had a 10 gallon up, running and planted after I transferred the inhabitants to a bigger tank. I made a bid on aquabid for 10 yellow neos and got stiffed and was really upset. Not only out my money but it was like my adoption of a child was terminated. So, to my surprise after coming home from work a few days later before Christmas, my 10 gallon had 6 red cherry shrimp in it!. My husband actually listened to my insane tank babble and searched out and (correctly!) acclimated some shrimp for me! It's the sweetest thing he's ever done :) He said he read up on acclimation and water params just for this because he's not into the hobby at all.

I love watching them and last week I noticed babies! I've been feeding BW bebi and adding IAL. I'm so stoked :D

So a few questions for everyone :

How long is the rcs growth period?

Does anyone feel bad emotionally about culling?

To those of you who do ro/di water, how do you heat it to the same temp as the tank?

Welcome!  Awesome you have a spouse willing to help you.  How long have you  been married?

heh  Mine puts up with my "addiction."

"How long is the rcs growth period?"

To my knowledge they never stop growing.  The growth just slows down as they get older.

"Does anyone feel bad emotionally about culling?"

I've found a few things to help:

a) if you have a fish or something, shrimp are on the lowest of the food chain and goes back into the circle of life.

B) you can also RAOK (or give away) if you so desire.  You make new friends this way, but if you don't have anyone in the area who is into shrimp you may have to deal with shipping.

c) some people keep a cull tank.  challenge with that is that eventually you'll have a multitude in there, too.

d) believe it or not, they can also be dried, ground up and used as food for other aquatics. (humans as well.)

Keep in mind shrimp have no brains.  Just a cluster of nerves.  Also, research has shown they do not feel pain.

"To those of you who do ro/di water, how do you heat it to the same temp as the tank?"

cheap heater and a 5g bucket work fine.

Welcome!

If you have a friend or co worker who has a fish tank, you can give the culls to them.

most will be eaten, but out of sight out of mind..and if they do happen to survive, they will help keep the friends tank clean, and may make the a convert to this hobby.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Welcome! Awesome you have a spouse willing to help you. How long have you been married?

We've been together 8 years, married for 3. He knew I was upset about the aquabid sham otherwise he just gives fleeting opinions of my tanks. With the occasional eye roll over how much money I spend!

Thank you both for answering my questions! There is a local aquarium club that I found out I can either donate or auction culls off.

Happy to have you here!  Giving away culls will always make you friends :)

It looks like Soothing answered all your questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife is just accepting my passion for fishtanks... just not in the last 3 years... but I think she is starting to come to terms with it.

She even painted my used tank stand today. (give her the opportunity to have fun, and make it partly hers!)

SHRIMP!!!!!