Future tank arrangement(s)

chibikaie

Right now, I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one female betta (has a large hang-on breeder box attempting to grow out moss, but no other livestock). There isn't much tabletop space left, but I was in PetSmart today picking up litter and couldn't resist checking out the options for another one.

a) Top Fin 2.6 gallon cube with lid, LED and internal filter - really cool looking, of course the LED is probably useless, I would almost definitely use a sponge filter instead, and so it's a very pricey plastic box

B) standard 2.5 gallon tank with clear lid - better price, more flexible, kind of boring

I feel that either of these would be a bit on the small side for a healthy colony of shrimp. However ... Maybe I could move the betta to one of these and redo the 5.5 gallon for shrimp?

Thoughts? Advice? Should I do a bigger tank?

As a betta owner I would say please don't try to keep one in anything smaller than a 5G as it would be just too cramped. They need a decent swimming space with a heater and decent filtration. It would be like making someone live in the cupboard under the stairs with no fresh air and only a bucket for waste that might get changed weekly - they might survive,  but they definitely wouldn't be well or thrive. If a 2.5G is too small for shrimp then it is definitely far too small for a betta.

If you want to go ahead and use the 5.5G for shrimp, consider rehoming the betta rather than housing it in something that is less than adequate.

I actually don't think a 2.5 gallon tank will be too small for a betta? Go bare bottom and keep up with water changes. Most show breeders keep them in gallon jars or smaller containers. I'd go with swapping if you just don't have room for another 5.5 gallon.

PS. But why do you not want to rescue fish because others don't? You should rescue fish especially because others don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, just because I know I shouldn't (because no one will adopt) doesn't mean I won't.

I may replant her tank. I'd really like to do that, I just need to work out how to do it without also transferring hair algae back into it.

Right now, I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one female betta (has a large hang-on breeder box attempting to grow out moss, but no other livestock). There isn't much tabletop space left, but I was in PetSmart today picking up litter and couldn't resist checking out the options for another one.

a) Top Fin 2.6 gallon cube with lid, LED and internal filter - really cool looking, of course the LED is probably useless, I would almost definitely use a sponge filter instead, and so it's a very pricey plastic box

B) standard 2.5 gallon tank with clear lid - better price, more flexible, kind of boring

I feel that either of these would be a bit on the small side for a healthy colony of shrimp. However ... Maybe I could move the betta to one of these and redo the 5.5 gallon for shrimp?

Thoughts? Advice? Should I do a bigger tank?

I am trying to breed a pair of bettas hopefully they will any day now. He was building a,nest before I put the female in so hopefully they get going!

Have you bred bettas before, Chris? I understand it's quite tricky trying to get the timing right for firstly conditioning them to each other and then separating them after they've mated. 

I've been told that my girl looks like she's full of eggs and ready to breed. I can see the ovipositor, so I guess that's possible. But I've never done anything special. (Or, well, she could just be fat.)

Since there was a cold snap, I unearthed a heater for the crayfish tank, and moved Miss Piggy the Omnicidal Betta to one side of their tank (yes, there's a divider, and a snug-fitting lid). So I've freed up the 5.5 gallon.

At the same time, I've come to the conclusion that I need to move the downoi/Pogostemon helferi out of my bigger tank. It's not getting enough light, and I am pretty sure I can correct that if I set the smaller tank up correctly.

So I just need to decide on a substrate (I've been less than thrilled with everything I've used so far) and rig some lighting (cfl in a clamp lamp). Any suggestions? I don't need/want an active/buffering substrate, it'd be overkill for the plants and shrimp.

• 1 month later...