glasgarten ae

Has anyone thought of a cheep alternative to Bacter AE? Are we really paying big $$$ for baby cereal and rid X ?

This is why I am testing this out. ^^

DSCF2132.JPG

By feeding these, I manage to take the shrimps (in a controlled environment) off wafers or other main food; they are now solely living on these for the past three to four weeks.

Now this thread is chugging along full of great information. Filling up 5G RO jugs right now.

i'm surprised the 4 tantora liquids arent selling better.

the GH+, micro active, humic black water, and catappa essence makes a great combo pack.

I was going to comment and bring the conversation back to the subject to the liquid mineralizers you mentioned earlier.  I don't want to say that people don't like or isn't into liquid mineralizers because they don't know anything about it, because admittedly, one of the first mineralizers available on the market were in fact liquid mineralizers (from brands such as Mosura and Shirakura).  I feel like NA are more "value" consumers more than they are "quality" conscious buyers.  

Salty Shrimp Salts is arguably THE BEST you can get for your money.  Does it work? - Yes.  Does it provide the necessary minerals sufficient to keep shrimp alive and breeding? - Yes.

There's really no incentive for casual hobbyist (and i would have to say a good amount of people on ShrimpSpot are consider "casual" hobbyist) to buy into the more specialized products.  This is the same reason why you don't see those hundred or thousand dollar shrimps for sale here.  Not saying you CAN'T get them or ALL NA shrimp hobbyist aren't extremest and perfectionist, it's just rare.  Wonder why Pintos aren't no widely available in the states yet?  It's because sellers are hard pressed to find people willing to fork over $100/ea for the shrimps..  Hell.. if you can get a group of people interest just toss Speedie a PM and he can arrange to get them over here ASAP.  He even asked me if I was interested in them but it was $104/ea and I just didn't want to spend that much... so at last.. no pintos...  You can bet, once prices drop, you'll see more and more..  

Tom Barr once made a post about how shrimp mineral rocks is nothing more than unscented kitty litter available at pounds on the dollar.  I trust Tom Barr's words more than anyone else's but you still see people buying it.  At the end of the day, fools will be fools, and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.  Smart folks are the ones innovating, asking questions. learning and driving this hobby further.  They're also the ones sharing ideas and testing theories.  Anyone glancing around SS can tell who's in it to help people and those in it for other motives.  

My point - As knowledge and perspective on shrimp keeping grows and evolves, people will begin to open up to more ideas.  Regardless of how "effective" or "great" a certain product is.. people who aren't ready for simply buy it.  Additionally, I feel like Tantora liquids could be the greatest thing ever introduced, but it won't sell as fast as you'd like until people are more familiarize with it and can vouch for it's excellence.  Simple claims to excellence won't cut it.  I can claim my home-made puddling helps develop strong bones, makes you jump and run faster, but at the end of the day it's all just claims.

Bro - If Tantora products are as great as you're saying it is, it'll sell itself.  Don't you doubt.  I think your main concern is getting supply ready for that downpour of demand!   :D

@Soothing - Look what you've created!! LOL..  

All very true!  dont get me wrong I agree with everything you are saying. US market is a strange beast, but as it grows and grows things will get better and better.

(minus the pintos :P black zebra stripe can be had for under 100 now)

"@Soothing - Look what you've created!! LOL.. "

I think the best asset we can have in our shrimping is knowledge.  This forum is great for experiences, knowledge and opinions.  In fact, IMO, the best shrimping forum on the net right now- due to the members willing to share here.

Tom Barr once made a post about how shrimp mineral rocks is nothing more than unscented kitty litter available at pounds on the dollar.  

Tom is right. Those rocks are Calcium Bentonite, aka cat litter.

Beware of those rocks/powder as they have side effect when added significant amount. The side effects include:

1. The release Ca+ will react with CO2 and become calcium carbonate.

2. It will adsorb your sodium and potassium, which is highly essential for shrimps' survival, and may deplete over time.

To spot these type of rocks or powder, look out for marketing message such as they will clean your water or adsorb ammonia. Walk away from them as it may cause problem when used long term, especially powder form that you can't remove them.

even mironekuton stones?

You know what is a deep sea minerals right? They are mostly the leftover (aka fossilised) from dead shell fish or coral.

Which means, they are made of mostly calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, strontium carbonate and heaps of chloride. Based on the chemical composition, it is better for SW tank than FW tank.

This is why I am testing this out. ^^

DSCF2132.JPG

By feeding these, I manage to take the shrimps (in a controlled environment) off wafers or other main food; they are now solely living on these for the past three to four weeks.

That's awesome in so many way's, I don't believe they need much more than that to thrive. In nature biofilm and micro organisms are there main diet and consist of around 35% to 38% crude protein. What ever else they need is extracted from the water and it's probably basic element's. I also believe that when there born they interact with the environment on an ionic level and we have to meet those needs as well. I see some simplicity in all that.

That's awesome in so many way's, I don't believe they need much more than that to thrive. In nature biofilm and micro organisms are there main diet and consist of around 35% to 38% crude protein. What ever else they need is extracted from the water and it's probably basic element's. I also believe that when there born they inter act with the environment on an ionic level and we have to meet those needs as well. I see some simplicity in all that.

if we could "feed" a few liquids and minimize the solid foods that would be pretty awesome

You know what is a deep sea minerals right? They are mostly the leftover (aka fossilised) from dead shell fish or coral.

Which means, they are made of mostly calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, strontium carbonate and heaps of chloride. Based on the chemical composition, it is better for SW tank than FW tank.

Old sea mud isn't really for shrimp it's more for bacterial micro organisms it creates environment for simple organisms take hold. Look at it like a base of building a complete living environment a simple layer for the foundation for more complex organisms to form.

Old sea mud isn't really for shrimp it's more for bacterial micro organisms it creates environment for simple organisms take hold. Look at it like a base of building a complete living environment a simple layer for the foundation for more complex organisms to form.

No offence, I'm just sharing my knowledge with what I am going to say.

Most bacteria only need simple organic ions, molecules or substances (e.g. carbon, sulphur, nitrogen) to generate energy. Hence, minerals has zero effect on them.

None taken. I haven't noticed any thing negative by using Old sea mud with re mineralizer used together for water changes, either it dose nothing or it's of some benefit to the over all environment. Trust me I do believe we use things we don't need because we think we do or don't know any better not too. I really view it as a tool to create an environment nothing more. I don't doubt what your saying is true and I respect the time and research you have put in to provide information on your findings. I do question a lot of the products out there my self and just like you I trying to find the best possible way to mimic natural processes and create healthy environments for shrimp.

Hi all,

I just discovered how much my probiotics can grow within 2 days (they wipe out all nitrous compound too) within water that is from a tank under cycling (I took the water out and let it stand still for 2 days) and I managed to captured some photos of it. The quality is not that good as I have to hold the cylinder with one hand under strong lighting and the other hand hold my camera, thus pardon me on the quality.

DSCF3221-FIXED-Small.jpg

DSCF3223-FIXED.jpg

So these are the free floating type of bacteria. There are a layer of bacteria colony at the bottom of the cylinder that I am unable to shoot.

This also explain why my shrimps are full by just eating them and zooplankton. If you see it in person, you will be amaze by the amount.