30 Gallon Breeder

Triton

sounds like a plan

I shot you an email Han regarding some SS Mesh filter guards, had a few questions on them. I think I am losing some of my cardinal tetras in my 75 because of the pull of the filter.

Right now this is the plan for the 30g Breeder

"Rarer" (less common) type of cory

Livebearer of some sort

Type of Neo Shrimp... will most of these breed true or will they need active culling to prevent them from turning back to brown?

I have a double breeder stand, so maybe I'll start setting up a crs tank this summer :)

"Type of Neo Shrimp... will most of these breed true or will they need active culling to prevent them from turning back to brown?"

Trick question without it meaning to be.  Colors have a tendency to go back to lower grades unless culling- BUT in general will stay the color.

IF a wild is thrown, the genetics almost always take over and when it mates to others, more wilds will be thrown. etc.

So, I've had this set up wasting electricity waiting for something to come along that I'm like "OMG I gotta have it..." well that day has come ladies and gentlemen...

As of Sunday night... this will be the stock in that tank...

8 Chili Rasboras (moved from my 10g tank upstairs) - hopefully in a tank with no assassin snails they will lay eggs
6 Crystal Red Shrimp, time these guys got their own tank

& the Pièce de résistance.... 2 Panda Loaches 

A good friend of mine was able to find a place near where I am going out of town this weekend and I will be bringing 6 of these little guys back to buffalo with me

The tank will be lightly stocked... but considering the need for perfect water conditions, I'm fine with that

• 2 weeks later...

So bit of a bad day... Did a pwc Friday (about 10-15%) and found 2 dead and 1 barely alive crystal red today. These guys had been seeming to do well so I'm a little frustrated/sad/angry with myself over it. Decided I am not going to replace them till I have a ro unit (hopefully this summer)

Han has talked me into doing another 30g breeder below this for growing emersed plants, so hopefully the new tank will eventually help make the original 30g and shrimp paradise

That sucks man, sry you lost some shrimps. Did you check all the water params when you found em dead? Thats the first start to do some CSI work. Casualty Shrimp Investigation :P . I have read about how tap water can change a lot from one day to the next which is why I am also looking into an ro unit. Found a popular one on a site that SoothingShrimp and others have purchased one from for around 70, great deal from what Ive seen so far for what we need.

So what do you think happened anyways? Maybe something nasty came in thru the tap? I read thats possible, and there is fluoride in it for sure if your in the states. Sry for the loss, good to see you looking into an ro unit to keep shrimpin! Game on after that!

I am sorry to hear they didn't make it :(

Yea my buddy h4n has convinced me to use this double breeder stand to its full potential...

SOOOO... there is now a 30g breeder directly below this that is going to be used as an emersed set up

I am starting with HC, Monte Carlo and UG. Might do some crypts if I can find any not so common ones but not any of the ultra rare ones

Han is a bad influence - words of my fiance lol.

So hear is the list on plants I currently have in my tanks that could be available to put into the emersed set up... let me know what would/wouldn't work

(pardon the spelling)

Altherna Reinikki

Hygrophilia Corymbosa 

Crypt Balansae

^those are really the only ones I have extra of and or that I can properly identify (i mixed a bunch of crypt types in my 75)

• 3 weeks later...

Technically the light should have been delivered today (fine out when I get home)

And just placed a big order with Han for the emersed plant set up... super pumped

A local guy is going to supply me with a school of sterbai for a good price for the 30g breeder fish tank too

oh man you made my day with that post Triton :lol: lmao

its so true, i just placed an order for an ss filter guard and some other goodies, and to say the least ....

IM SO EXCITED AND I JUST CANT HIDE IT :P

Anyhow, I got on to check out how your 30s doin, nice update and I say it a lot, but Im definitely looking forward to some pics

Have a good one!