Opinion and how to use UGF's (undergravel filter)

I wonder how everyone feels about Under Gravel Filters (UGF)?

Do you use a UGF with a Reverse Flow Power Head on one side, cap the

other side, and leave off the charcoal filter attachment? (or on)

Or run the UGF regular with the charcoal filters attached?

Or run the UGF regular without the charcoal filters attached?

Or use the UGF with No charcoal filters, No air stones, No power head,

and just use the UGF as Plenum?

Do you use the charcoal filters attached when you are doing a fishless cycle?

I want to get everyone's opinion on the subject of UGF's, both pro and con.

Thanks! Doc

I had a 55 gallon marine tank for 12 years with UG filter and skilter 250 (HOB filter) , using air stones good powerful air pump. It was archaic by todays standards but the fish thrived .

The carbon inserts are small and exhausted so quickly that not worth it .

Water changes and vacuuming the substrate is the key with UGF but they work .

I do find the old style box filters which can also hold carbon besides floss and bio media to be a better option.

I decided to take out the UGF.  There was just too many questions, too many differences of opinion on them.

With powerheads, without, reverse flow, regular flow, capped and uncapped, cleaning, tons of people that just

hate UGF's. Some that swear by them. I tried it with a Powerhead in Reverse flow, but it would suck up a

shrimp if it got too close. Running normal flow, the current would be too powerful for shrimp, running without

a powerhead, the gunk would build up under the plates.

In reverse flow, with one side capped, the water coming up through the substrate is still too powerful and would

bother the shrimp. The only powerhead that I could find that was adjustable with water flow, and had reverse flow

was the AquaClear Powerhead 50 which was the smallest, but in a 10 gallon tank, it was still too much even at

the lowest settings. For a larger tank, it would be good, at least a 29 gallon or larger, but for a 10 forget it.

I do have the water polisher filter attachment though which I can run every now and then, and it will make the

water completely crystal clear. I also have a small UV sterilizer to do the same that I will run every now and

then.

But, overall, the UGF experiment for me was a live and learn one and ultimately I took it out. I had to do a

90% water change anyway when the nitrites and nitrates spiked, so that was the best time to take out the UGF

before I got too far down the road with the UGF in the tank.

Well, if it helps anyone else make up their mind. To each their own, some people just swear by them, some people hate them.