ANBU's 20 Gallon Long Half Bare Bottom Tank

ANBU

Tanks look great! Any tips for getting fissidens to attach to driftwood like that ANBU?

Fissidens is one of the BEST moss to have grown attached to anything. It actually roots itself to almost all surface, unlike many other types of moss. From the looks of it, ANBU has the moss growing on SS MESH. I can bet (based from experience) that if ANBU picks up the fissidens, you'll see the fissidens rooting to the substrate's pellets.

It's growth is upwards instead of an even spread like mini Xmas and other moss which really help the moss' new growth from suffocating and eventually KILLING the bottom layers. Pretty awesome as this growth pattern prevents it from the automatically uprooting as seen in other moss typically kept in the same conditions.

Anywhose, awesome setup. Loving the simplicity of the layout. How do you like the divided look? Have you observed the shrimps hanging out on the bare areas more or the substrate area more? I understand the concept of the divided tank but wanted to get your opinion on it as I've never done this sort of setup myself.

Look's like your tank is doing well. My Fluval tank is still going strong holding 6.0 PH six month later. My 15 gallon half/half is preforming well, so I decided to start a 20l half/half. Looking forward to seeing some shrimplets in your tank soon.

I don't know if I missed it, but what did you use as the divider on the original tank?

I had a glass company cut me a piece of glass 11 3/4 inches by 3.5 inches. I just silicone it myself.

Tanks look great!  Any tips for getting fissidens to attach to driftwood like that ANBU? 

Theres 3 ways I do it.

1. I super glue it.

2. I use some fishing lines.

3. I get a clump of fissiden moss and rub it really hard against rocks or driftwood and let it sit in a tank: dry start method moss attach really well.

Fissidens is one of the BEST moss to have grown attached to anything. It actually roots itself to almost all surface, unlike many other types of moss. From the looks of it, ANBU has the moss growing on SS MESH. I can bet (based from experience) that if ANBU picks up the fissidens, you'll see the fissidens rooting to the substrate's pellets.

It's growth is upwards instead of an even spread like mini Xmas and other moss which really help the moss' new growth from suffocating and eventually KILLING the bottom layers. Pretty awesome as this growth pattern prevents it from the automatically uprooting as seen in other moss typically kept in the same conditions.

Anywhose, awesome setup. Loving the simplicity of the layout. How do you like the divided look? Have you observed the shrimps hanging out on the bare areas more or the substrate area more? I understand the concept of the divided tank but wanted to get your opinion on it as I've never done this sort of setup myself.

I really like the look of the half bare bottom. I also converted my 15gal long into a half bare. I see shrimp grazing mostly on the bare side. You be amazed at how much poop they poop in 1 week. I can easily siphon out the waste on the bare side.

Look's like your tank is doing well. My Fluval tank is still going strong holding 6.0 PH six month later. My 15 gallon half/half is preforming well, so I decided to start a 20l half/half. Looking forward to seeing some shrimplets in your tank soon.

Thanks! I just get a constant 6.5ph never really went down to 6.0ph for me. I only use RO water.

charlie the unicorn? Lol!

OMG I should not have read this thread. My boys were into that and I actually caught myself in the grocery store humming 'put a banana in your ear'. Took me forever to get that darn song out of my head, lol

Interesting that they like to hang out on the bare bottom side so much. I would not think they would like it with nothing to grab on to.  Shrimp are always amazing me!  Such a beautiful tank you created for your beautiful creatures!