Can someone tell me what's up with this shrimp?

This has been going on over a month now. She was berried, and had her babies. She had a small clear spot on the front of her head, which just gets increasingly larger and now engulfs her entire head. I thought it might be stress, but she is berried again, never misses a meal, and is quite active. It concerns me. Will it go away, is she very stressed, is she morphing into some strange color, is she ill? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Pf8rLvI.jpg

yKwAUE4.jpg

Her butt end appears to be starting it, too.

-Stef*

She's morphing into a rili.

I assume she orange or red depending on your photo color.

But I would seperate her if you dont want more down the line and your breeding for more soild colors.

Thank you, Han!

I considered that possibility. She is an orange/pumpkin/sakura. I thought the rili pattern was clear in the middle? Is there a reverse rili?

If I don't cull her, can the babies be rilis and solids, or will it just give me crappy solids? I don't mind a split. Much better news than an illness.

-Stef*

Rili's comes in all sort of different clear spot.

Ideally you want clear mid body ehich would be a perfect rili but you get that from selectively breeding for that trait.

Babies will have a chance of being rili's also since she's the mama.

And could dull your solidness down after a few generations.

If you do have a rili, that is great news!

Orange rilis that have been coming into the aquarium trade recently have been very sensitive and people have been having problems keeping them alive.

I would highly encourage you to try to breed this into a strain if it is inheritable.  We need HARDY morphs. :)

If you do have a rili, that is great news!

Orange rilis that have been coming into the aquarium trade recently have been very sensitive and people have been having problems keeping them alive.

I would highly encourage you to try to breed this into a strain if it is inheritable.  We need HARDY morphs. :)

yup! I would definitely selectively breed it :)

This is good news!

Thanks, you guys :)

I have no choice right now but to encourage breeding. We are still trying to get the parameters and environment stable.

If she was sick, I would of relocated her, but don't want to start up more tanks and such until we kind of get a hold with this shrimpin' thingy.

There is a bunch of babies in the tank, and so far things are surviving the hurdles, mistakes, and learning challenges we are facing.

LOL-what don't kill them makes them stronger?

-Stef*

That is a sweet looking shrimp!  I like the different patterns of clear then just in the middle of the body.

"BV mutation?" I am not familiar with that term, or maybe the initials?

I will have a hard time separating her babies from others in the tank. 

They are all berried again, too.

Is this something I should mention if I decide to trade some?

I think she is an older shrimp-she was one of the biggest in the batch.

Maybe she's going gray like a granny?

Shrimp don't really lose muchcolor as they get older.  They *do* lose some in tissue color, but not clear like that.

BV= Blue Velvet.  They start out looking like a red rili, but as the body tissue starts turning blue, the red pigment on the shell fades away leaving only the blue showing by juvie age usually.

lol,  They are all gathering at the Patty Shack.