hard algae on glass

If it's hard green spot algae, it's a sign that I'm running low on phosphorus. Usually feeding more frozen food (they often contain phosphate) or dosing small amounts of potassium phosphate will tip things back the way I want them. I guess that works best if there are plants in the tank that aren't actively dying.

If it's new growth, sometimes I can get it off with my fingernails.

post-89-141556486334_thumb.jpg

I don't know what it's actually used for. I found it at the dollar store. It works pretty good for stubborn spot algae. That and I use a metal business card.

I've never had too much of an issue with hard algae. I remember trying to scrape off algae on my glass with the magnetic sponge before I had anything in the tank other than plants, and some just didn't want to come off. I just left it like that until I got my nerite snails and have never had an issue with algae on the glass since. Maybe you're in need of some nerite snails? =)

I have always used the green pot scrubbers if its a glass tank, followed up with a normal sponge. Not sure if you can avoid having your hands in the tank. You can always use small amounts of hydrogen peroxide directly on the algae, works wonders.

I've never had too much of an issue with hard algae. I remember trying to scrape off algae on my glass with the magnetic sponge before I had anything in the tank other than plants, and some just didn't want to come off. I just left it like that until I got my nerite snails and have never had an issue with algae on the glass since. Maybe you're in need of some nerite snails? =)

Thanks Christine, however I *want* algae on the other sides of the tank. :)

The algae make food that the shrimp eat, and it's great for young shrimp's first bites as well.

Oh yikes. I'm about to have some shrimplets soon and have almost no algae on the glass. Maybe feeding them a little every day will help? Also how will I do water changes without sucking the little buggers up in the tube?! -.-

Two ways to do wc without sucking them up.

1) Keep the tube siphon in the upper middle of the tank, and you should be pretty okay.  That is done by most everyone I know.

BUT I'm lazy and not super patient with 60+ tanks....so there's a 2nd way I developed and experimented with and have been very happy with-

I use a 1/2" ID vinyl tube with one of Han's stainless steel mesh filters on the end.  I also have a 3/8" one that also has a SS mesh on the end.  Both syphon out water fast, and I don't have to worry a bit about where I place it, and sucking up anything but water. ;) 

...Although since I do non weighted down moss, I do have to make sure it doesn't stick to the SS filter. heh

Hey Soothing,

I wrapped some filter floss on the end of these bamboo crocheting needles and they work great on removing the hard algae and keep my hands out of my tanks. I also use these without the floss to heard shrimp in to nets. Very versatile aquarium tool!

post-89-0-82864600-1415722461_thumb.jpg

Hey, that flipper looks pretty cool.  It scrapes well?

It scrapes awesome, one pass and algae is gone.  Just make sure you get the Flipper and not the Mag Flip, I have both and the Mag Float version sucks.