Getting close to adding shrimp - scary!

Shrimpie

Okay it's been about 2 months since I set up my new 10 gallon.  Using RO water remineralized with Blue Diamond (thanks Han) - Parameters are:

TDS 180

GH 6

KH 0

Ammonia 0.025

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

I've been squeezing the foam sponge from my other tanks filters into this tank and adding Z Powder weekly

Substrate is basic black sand, driftwood, fissidens (thanks Ch3f) and java moss.

These parameters have stayed the same for a month now. I did have danios in the tank, but took them back to the lfs after a week from suggestions about doing fishless cycling.  I moved 2 of my assassin snails into the tank.

So is it safe to add shrimp to these parameters now?  It makes me nervous, I don't want to harm or kill any shrimpies.  I like the rili shrimp -  so nothing too fancy.

Or is this ammonia still an issue?

I think you will be fine with any Neo to be honest. Weird that you have 0 nitrates. What rilis are you looking to pick up for your tank?

If you are using a liquid test kit be sure to really bang the 2 bottles and shake violently as the main chemical will stick to the bottom of the bottle and this will give you a negative reading.

Edit: the nitrate test bottles are what I mean lol.

hehe I was thinking the same about the readings  but just assumed he had tested and SEEN the cycle.   I guess I shouldn't assume though.

Shrimpie, did you test all along and watch it go through the cycle from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates ?    

You guys are great.  Thanks for all the support.  The liquid tests I have been using is API - The ammonia test is soooooo hard to tell between the yellow 0 and the verrrrrrrrry light green at 0.025.  I wish there was a more accurate test out there to use.  The nitrate liquid test I shake really good before putting the drops in.  My assassin snails are doing very well.  I bit the bullet and purchased 10 of the red rili that I am in love with.  I have a drip acclimater I will use when they arrive.  I am having them sent overnight to arrive next Wednesday when I am home.  Keeping all toes and fingers crossed.

These test kits are interesting.  If I use the API strip test, it shows 0 nitrite and barely negligible nitrate.  It shows ph at 6.2, but my ph meter shows ph at 7.2  I think I trust the liquid tests and the ph meter more than the strips.  Anybody have any suggestions for better test kits?

These test kits are interesting. If I use the API strip test, it shows 0 nitrite and barely negligible nitrate. It shows ph at 6.2, but my ph meter shows ph at 7.2 I think I trust the liquid tests and the ph meter more than the strips. Anybody have any suggestions for better test kits?

Api master test kits are very good, I wouldn't trust test strips my self as they can be very inaccurate

I am of the opposite opinion, the API liquid tests are ridiculously inaccurate due to their failure to print consistent, usable color charts. It isn't the reagents (as long as you follow the directions), it's the chart. I cannot interpret the results if they are not zero or 10 ppm. Sure, anything above 10 means a water change is a good idea, but I don't consider that to be a test result that I would pay money for.

I am with you Chibik.   I have the  hardest time distinguishing between the colors on the test kits. I have wondered if it is my eyesight or if everyone has the same trouble. Unfortunately, I think its the best bet out there atm.  

For ammonia, I have fallen in love with the Seachem in-tank indicator. I swear it really does work - I can see when I have a spike, and I usually find that one of my older guppies has passed away after hunting around the tank.

I have been using the Tetra dry strips for nitrite and nitrate. For whatever reason, I can distinguish the shades of pink much more easily. The multistrip also shows some other values, like KH and GH, but I'm most concerned about those two. (I don't have shrimp yet; I do have the API liquid tests for KH and GH, but I trust those as they are done by titration, not trying to match colors.)

I have heard good things about the Sera tests, but have not found a source that isn't crazy expensive.

I was wondering about the Sera test strips.  I see that Swiss Tropicals carries them.  I love using their Mattenfilter in my tank. Maybe I'll order the Sera strips from him.  I haven't tried the Tetra strips.