Dosing Breeding Liquid In The Prl Tank

I generally don't dose breeding liquid in any of tanks, but dosing it in a fairly high density tank is quite the sight! After seeing their reaction the first time I did it a couple weeks ago, I decided to try to get their reaction on film this time. The tank is my 23 gallon mixed grade PRL (aka cull) tank with at least a couple hundred shrimps.

Why are the shrimps doing that movement?

The main ingredient of the breeding liquid is Chitin which comes from the shell of shrimps. Normally the males display the same behaviour just after a mature female molts. There is a small window of time just after this happens where is she can get berried; the chitin from the old exoskeleton triggers the males to start "dancing" and seek out the female(s). The breeding liquid is just more concentrated version of the chitin found on the exoskeleton

So that was them breeding?

When I dose Borneowild Breeding Liquid, I never seen such movements.

Well more like "dancing" aka their reaction when a female molts - they still have to find the female to actually breed.  

Most breeding liquid i find only seems to affect bee shrimps - it might be the formulation as they can vary between brands but most of the ones I tried only worked on CRS/CBS and tigers; zero affect on neo's or other caridinas

My neos have never been excited by it.  Which one did you use?

This one in particular is the Benibachi one.  But I have tried the Borneowild and Mosura ones as well in the past.

I actually got a similar reaction when i dosed mk blood diamond... I know it has chitin.

Ya i get something similar when i dose Bio-culture SMW directly to the tank as well but just not as intense and effects doesn't last as long

If the female is not molting. then how come it helps?

I don't actually think it does much, at least if you shrimps are molting and breeding on a regular basis, which is why I don't generally don't use it in my tanks.  

When one female molts it also triggers a chain reaction and encourage other females to molt (if they are ready) so the effect is two fold; it causes the males to dance around and it encourages the females to molt if they are ready.

I am guessing it is used by some breeders to "speed up" the natural process as some people use it every other week to encourage their shrimps to molt (and grow) on a regular basis.  But I think if you shrimps are not molting and breeding regularly there might be some other issues with your tank.