Shrimp that can take a bit of warmth

woopderson

I have a 20g long that is empty at the moment in a room that does not have ac. I can get a fan to cool the tank, which should lower the temp a bit. But I'm curious to see if there is a colony that would do well if things got a little warm (26'C). I already keep CRS and Blue Bolts, so I am looking for something different.

What do you guys recommend I try?

Thanks in advance :)

I have narrowed it down to two setups:

A. Divide the 20g long with a screen, and keep two types of neos.

B. No divider, one type of neos, and also keep Caridina Babaulti

List of shrimp I have interest in:

Caridina:

Caridina Babaulti

Neos:

Carbon Rili

Pumpkins

Sakura-Yellow with racing stripe

Green Jades

Maybes:

Blue Velvets

C-Sky Blues

Anyone have experience with Caridina Babaulti?

Caridina babaulti grow slowly and they also throw some orangish and brownish colors. I had them, but I ended up trading them away as I wanted green shrimp that stayed green. I had tried to find caridina sp. dark green, which are only green as adults, but they are almost impossible to find now.

I have blue velvets, blue diamonds, orange sakuras, and yellow neon. I think that finding a blue shrimp that breeds true always looks good. I also like the deeper blues as opposed to a pale blue like the blue velvets. I like my yellows a lot as well and think those pop nicely in a tank too. I decided not to go with rilis since they require a good amount of culling to keep them looking good. I know it is hard to choose when there are so many options! Good luck!

Malawa is a hardy sulawesi shrimp. Not the prettiest in my opinion, but would definitely handle my higher temps :P

Malawa-Shrimp-6.jpg

Hi soothing, may i know what is malawa shrimp ?

Thank you for the insight, sly!  I agree about the darker blues, Blue Diamonds are also an option.  I plan to get the tank cycling some time in January, so I have the month of December to torment myself with indecision. :P

I'm even thinking of dividing the tank in three with screen to allow stable water, but keep three types of neos.  Put a dual sponge filter in each section and that will be my filtration for the tank. My better half advised me that dividing it would ruin the tank esthetic, so that is something to think about.

Edit: After looking at dividers in tanks, I've settled on keeping caridina and neos in one tank with no divider. I think I may still go all sponges for filtration, however.

Caridina babaulti grow slowly and they also throw some orangish and brownish colors. I had them, but I ended up trading them away as I wanted green shrimp that stayed green. I had tried to find caridina sp. dark green, which are only green as adults, but they are almost impossible to find now.

I have blue velvets, blue diamonds, orange sakuras, and yellow neon. I think that finding a blue shrimp that breeds true always looks good. I also like the deeper blues as opposed to a pale blue like the blue velvets. I like my yellows a lot as well and think those pop nicely in a tank too. I decided not to go with rilis since they require a good amount of culling to keep them looking good. I know it is hard to choose when there are so many options! Good luck!

Good decisions.  A screen divider won't help that much.  heh  Shrimp love to climb over walls.

The Malawa that was pictured is clearish.  Those do pop up since no one has developed a color strain yet.  However there are also tiger patterns, charcoal, greenish clearish, brown, reddish, blue and just about every color in between.  They will out breed cherries in even the harshest conditions. LOL

Also, be aware that BD don't breed true.  You'll wind up just about every color.  Not bad if you like a skittles tank.  If you want a single color, better to go with something that breeds true.  Just depends on what you want.

Ahh I gotcha, would be curious to check them out. Might be interesting to see in a few Years what is out there. I don't mind a skittle tank, I think it would look pretty cool.

The final group I have narrowed it to is:

Caridina Babaulti + Golden Back Yellow Sakuras

or

Blue Diamonds

Good decisions.  A screen divider won't help that much.  heh  Shrimp love to climb over walls.

The Malawa that was pictured is clearish.  Those do pop up since no one has developed a color strain yet.  However there are also tiger patterns, charcoal, greenish clearish, brown, reddish, blue and just about every color in between.  They will out breed cherries in even the harshest conditions. LOL

Also, be aware that BD don't breed true.  You'll wind up just about every color.  Not bad if you like a skittles tank.  If you want a single color, better to go with something that breeds true.  Just depends on what you want.