The Tale of the Golden Bees

RyeGuy411

Just to provide an update all the shrimp are doing fantastic! After my TOD with my first three batches of Cherries I am just so happy to have a healthy tank going with these awesome little guys.  I purchased some new driftwood and a piece of moss from H4n that should be here in the next couple of days.  Once I get the new scape set up I will post some new pics showing the set up.  

Got some new spider wood and an assortment of mosses. Rescaped the tank and added some rose moss, Christmas moss, peacock moss and willow moss. Shrimp seem to love the new playground equipment. Thought I would post a couple of pics.

post-466-0-52574200-1418919957_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-20627300-1418919971_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-19339700-1418919982_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

Glad you like it all!

Suggested if you can.

I would spread out the moss thinner because anything under that doesn't get light will die anyways.

If you spread it out more it will grow faster and fuller :)

Like any good story it has it's ups and downs. So I'm down a golden bee haven't found a body but definitely down one. Also noticed the BB's are very pale. Thought maybe they were about to molt but all of them at once? Something is stressing them out I'm sure. Did a 1 gallon water change replaced purigen pouch in hob filter. Purigen was chocolate brown must be from tannins. Hopefully I don't lose anymore. I'm sad.

The shrimp seem to be holding steady five golden bees all three BB's and the shadow panda are looking good. I swear one of the smaller BB's color is coming back. It's the largest one who looks the most pale now I compared pictures I took when I first got it to now looks like 50% less intense blue. I will wait to see if the color intensifies hopefully a good molt will do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...

So some pretty big changes since the last update.  I am down to two Golden Bees from the original 6. The mystery of missing Goldens has perplexed me untill a couple days ago. I happened to be moving some things underneath the tank and found a mumified Golden.  I was sad and pleased all at the same time.  Ever since I got them, I notice that many of them congregate in the back corner above the sponge filter. I have noticed on a few occaisons shrimp climbing the clamps from the lights up the glass.  Well now my suspicions have been confirmed they are jumping out of the tank.  I have never found a body in the tank and can easily spot all the living shrimp.  I think all the dried bodies outside the tank make perfect cat treats as I found my cat inhaling the recent shrimp mummy. So in better news my three BB's and my Shadow Panda are doing great. I even have a berried BB! I am super excited to see what come from the BB, I have a strong suspicion a Golden got to her.  Against my better judgement I have gathered the equipment to set up a new tank, 10g with Aquaclear HOB, Dual sponge filter and a Finnex 20" Planted Plus.  I will fill the tank and start cycling this weekend and plan on using it as my colony tank for my TB's.  I will post pics once the new tank is set up.

Thanks, I share my office with two IT guys at work and as they say all the time "Shrimpin aint easy". They are not shrimpers but are very understanding.   I was actually thinking about making some t-shirts but I wanted a cool logo to go with the slogan.

Great idea, RyeGuy.  Nice find on the missing goldens.  Yesterday, I found 3 of my goldens gathered tightly around something munching up a storm.  Investigating I saw they were eating a dead golden.  Removed him - made me sad that he died.  But these guys eat the dead ones REALLY fast.  So if you are still missing one or 2 after you get a glass cover for your tank, that may be why.

The funny thing is I have cover on the tank but one edge sticks up just enough the let the airline and heater cord through.  Apparently it was just enough to let them climb out. So im going to keep the water level lower from now on and taped the gap with painters tape.

Crafty little buggars they are!  But I just love them too.  The goldens and crs that I got from Mayphly are just so beautiful.  I love watching them

Sorry I forgot to tell you all my shrimp are suicidal escape artists. No really I'm glad you found out what was going on. You kinda had me stumped there. .