The Tale of the Golden Bees

RyeGuy411

I set up a new tank on November 7th. I definitely have MTS this is the fourth tank set up since June. I wanted to chronicle the tale with this journal. The tank cycled easily and I really like the set up. I have golden bees coming from mayphly today. Here are some progress pics.

post-466-0-78659900-1417633485_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-79865500-1417633503_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-30475400-1417633554_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-23795700-1417633567_thumb.jpg

The tank is a 12" rimless from Deep Blue my LFS had it for $39.99  I thought that was a pretty good price I couldnt find any similar size tanks less than 50 and they were online plus shipping.  The lights are Zitrades 3.5w 48 LED from Amazon 14.98 each.

I actually really like these lights. They are a touch switch so they would work with a timer if they were plugged into a power strip and the power strip was plugged into the timer. Kind of a pain but I just turn them on before I leave for work and off when I get home.

Just to update all the shrimp are doing great! They are grazing constantly and pooping all over the place it's really amazing how much poop they make for how tiny they are. I have an order of CSF food coming along with with some Bacter AE this week. And super excited also three blue bolts and some flame moss should be here Wednesday. I will update with pictures once everything arrives.

The golden bees have been in the tank a week now and look like they are really settled in. Last night I was watching my fire red tank and happened to turn around and saw one of the goldens folded into a C shape. I looked closer and as I did they peeled out of their shell with one quick jerk. That was the first time I have actually seen a molt it was awesome. I looked around the tank and saw another exoskeleton so great news. This morning when I woke up they were all grazing on the substrate together. Here's a picture.

post-466-0-85235600-1418224700_thumb.jpg

I ordered some Borneo Wild Humic to add to this tank to try to lower the pH closer to 6. Currently I am maintaing a very stable 6.5pH but wanted to get it down to at least 6.2.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with those.  I was planning to just add them to the top of the substrate and let them go.  Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful.

I ordered some Borneo Wild Humic to add to this tank to try to lower the pH closer to 6. Currently I am maintaing a very stable 6.5pH but wanted to get it down to at least 6.2.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with those.  I was planning to just add them to the top of the substrate and let them go.  Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful.

why do you want to lower your ph? If your tank is stable at 6.5 and your shrimp seem happy then why mess with it?  It can become unstable when you start adding addditives. If you realy want to lower your ph I would suggest doing it with ro water. Just my two cents. ;)

I guess I was thinking to closer match the ideal conditions for the blue bolts and what they are currently being kept at. I already use RO water it starts out about 6.6 then goes to 7 overnight. With the added peat in the filter it brings it down to 6.5 and seems to hold it there. The two reasons for the humic no tannins and peat is a non renewable product. But if you are saying to not mess with it I will hold off and see how the BB's like it.

Blue Bolts are coming today (finally) USPS two day priority. Shipped monday morning scheduled in yesterday (Thursday) now arriving today.  Four days in the box with a heat pack rated for 72 hours with subfreezing temperatures locally and through a large part of the path they traveled.  I am very nervous but also optimistic about how they might have fared. I know they were packed extremely well by Mayphly! I will update when I get home and open the box. Everyone please say a little prayer that my BB's made it alive!