Guess what I assembled today. ..

Teruterubozu

It's official. .. My tanks are being evicted from the kitchen counter. Who knew that someone would actually want to cook in there? It works fine for cooking ramen and goldfish jello!

The plant tanks are going to be taken down and relocated to a shiney new home, and converted to shrimp tanks. Gonna have to get a few more tanks, but if that's what it takes to get some people to stop the shrimp scampi talk... Well you gotta do what you gotta do!

Just thought I'd share stage 1 with you all. I'm sure I going to be asking a lot of questions, cause I want to get this set up right.

And yeah I know the shelves are set up wrong. I wanted to get it attached to the wall, before anyone noticed I wasn't completely leaving the kitchen.

Posted Image

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

post-107-139520457598_thumb.jpg

3 10 gallons for now. Not sure about the rest. Was thinking of some divided 15s and maybe a 30L or breeder. I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to get some more neos. Not ready to try cardinas yet. I figured divide the 15s in 2 one side for breeders one side for culls. And the 30 just cause I want to try an iwagumi. Keep the 10s on the bottom for plants and hospital.

I use 15 gallon tanks and turn them so you look at the short side.  Since most of the common racks are 24" deep they work perfectly. 

Hmm good to know. Is it difficult to get to the back ends for cleaning/ maintenence/culling? Ive been moving the shelves around but seems like im not going to have much room to maneuver.

For those of you with racks, how much space do you have between shelves?

I put my tanks longways on the shelves for viewing for culling.  LOL  Isn't the first time I've gone against conventional wisdom.  Yes, a slight bow happens, however I also use 3/4" OSB underneath to help with the weight.  I also use #20 bolts and nuts to attach the crossbar under each shelf to keep it from splaying.

I have 5" from the top rim of the tank to the bottom of the next steel shelf beam.  In between beams is hollow (and holds steel grate top and wood), so that is another 3" or so under.

Hmm good to know. Is it difficult to get to the back ends for cleaning/ maintenence/culling? Ive been moving the shelves around but seems like im not going to have much room to maneuver.
For those of you with racks, how much space do you have between shelves?

Soothing, how do you attach a cross piece? I don't have anything to drill through metal. I haven't set up any more tanks because I haven't figured out how to prevent bowing yet. :P

Teruteru... if you figure out how to deal with the low overhead, let me know! I'm having a bear of a time with it! :P

I have metal tie bars that came with the shelving.  They attach underneath the shelf.  But you can buy them from Menards for less than $3 ea.  It stops the beams from splaying and rotating outward for risk of the grate falling through.

TCH24.jpg

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/shelves-shelving-units/steel-component-shelving/edsal-24-black-rectangle-tie-bar/p-1912443-c-9540.htm

Here are a couple photos. The first is looking at the underside of the shelf so you can see one side of the support.

U8rrDK9.jpg

The second has my finger there so you can see there isn't much of a ledge on the bottom of the support... it's only a slight curve, not enough to rest anything on like yours.

tbcmRbK.jpg