R/O filter question

Kh is 0 Gh is about 5 coming out of the unit, I have up aqua shrimp sand in a 20g long and it doesn't seem to buffer it too much but it is in the middle of cycling

For the next one I want to set up with amazonia so I figure starting with a phase closer to what it'll buffer to will extend the life

I use up aqua shrimp sand in my tank. It is a non buffering substrate. The bag says approximate pH of 6.5 but that is just the granules themselves they will not effect the pH of the RO water. I remineralize RO water with a pH of about 6.6 after adding to the tank overnight the pH rose to about 7.2. I added some peat granules some IAL and some Borneo wild humic and the ph is rock solid at 6.4.

That's weird.  Mine continually buffers down to 5ish ph.  I have to add baking soda to bring it up to 6's.

Up aqua shrimp sand? Really it buffers for you? That is weird I overfilled my tank with about three inches of substrate used RO water with driftwood and nothing else and after aerating the pH was just about 7-7.2. I even tested it, about half of a large cup I use with substrate 50/50 substrate and water no buffering at all.

I use RO/DI 4stages of Bulk Reef Supply and always use its membrance ! From the tap water has PH of 7.6-7.8 ;TDS 178-180; GH of 11-12 and KH of 6-7 , it reverse to the PH of 5.2 - 5.3 , tds : 0 ; GH of 0 and KH of 0 !

You can try it if you really want to! I dont think aerate your RO water could raise up coz the RO system takes much (H+) and thats y your ph gets lower ! More stages,lower ph

I had same problem at the begining and tried many many ways to raise up my ph ,by mosura ,borneo wild or even putting corals into my filters but I found out no way really works! All you have to do is taking the soil that can really makes your PH level as you want it to be

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, this tank has a base of miracle grow organic soil with the up aqua sand on top but I'm guessing the soil doesn't get a lot of flow through as there isn't really any tannins in the water collum. So it seems like it's the sand doing the work. During the cycle I would assume the ammonia is raising the ph and once its ove the sand has an easier time buffering especially now that I'm using ro water.