Planaria and hair algae

I just seen three planaria crawling on the tank bottom. I have no planaria but it hasn't worked for me before. What should I do. And also, what's the safest way to get rid of hair algae besides manual removal in a shrimp tank guys

I remember reading about pinocchio shrimp, or RDS as what the breeder acronymed it, to be the best shrimp at eating hair algae and I have read a few accounts confirming this. Also, they wont mix/breed with neos for sure, but I dont recall the other types of shrimp, probably not though. I definitely want to get some one day myself.

Hope this helps ya out :)

When is gush going to pur the catch pens back on he market?

There's other brands that sell the same thing BTW.

There's different types such as yellow nose, red nose, etc. But they are all pretty much the same. Beautiful shape, but won't have larvae survive in fresh water.

Ooohhh yellow nose, thats very cool, I have only seen pics of the red one, and seen red ones at the lfs. You know your shrimp sir ;)

Amano shrimp work good for hair algae. Easier to find compared to pinnochio shrimp, and they can withstand the liquid rock that comes out of my pipes here. When I added some amanos to my rili tank, they cleaned up the green hair algae in a few days.

I found that if amanos have access to "real food" they won't touch the hair algae.  Some people keep them in separate tanks just for plant clean up.

When I moved them to that tank I didn't feed them for several days. They are pretty possessive of their food when I do feed them and I now only use food that are in small pieces so that the rili shrimp can some of it.

Thread or other hair algae as you call it can be nuked with irregular lighting and hydrogen peroxide. Irregular lighting means you introduce a pause of 2-4 hours in your program. I had "hairballs" of this stuff in a moss tank. The moss survived, the algae didn't :)

Daily hydrogen peroxide dosing and a light pause dealt with it in a week.

It grows by excessive light + lots of food. I won't approach this via bio control like Amanos or other shrimp. I find Amanos aggressive, mainly when starved. If they don't starve they will not touch algae.

My schedule with algae growing: 8:00am - 10:00pm

My schedule with algae dying: 8:00am - 12:00 - lights off - 4:00pm - 8:00pm

Notice that I shortened the light program also. Coupled with 2.5ml of hydrogen peroxide in a net volume of 10 liters nuked the algae. I keep neos in that tank, but you can dose less if you have a concern it will harm shrimp.