Shrimp breeder box

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?breeding&1419361206

I saw the above on aquabid. Looks like some one combined there breeder box with the pump off there uv unit to make this. Looks like it could be useful if you didn't want air pumps running your breeder boxes.

Pretty sure the shrimp aren't going to like it in there because of too much circulation. That pump looks similar to the exo terra pump and runs about 80gph. With it pumping upwards, its still probably around 50gph for a breeder box is just too overpower which is why they have 2 outflows. I noticed my shrimp are a lot more happy when my canister filter is turned off. I have a toms rapid canister in a 10g tank and the shrimps don't swim around. They just walk around but once filter is off, they swim everywhere!

What a great idea with the spraybar. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The spray bar is a must because the breeder is driven with a water pump.  The outflow is restrictive considering how the maker customized the outflow to prevent babies from escaping.  Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying the outflow and inflow is on overkill.  What I found to work best is buying breeder boxes separately (roughly 12-13$/ea on amazon) and a water pump separately (roughly 12-13$/ea, I used a low rated Rio pump), and tinker with it until you can adapt that to run 2-3 breeder boxes.  That's currently how I'm doing it for my 3x Breeder Boxes on my 60P.

The spray bar is a must because the breeder is driven with a water pump. The outflow is restrictive considering how the maker customized the outflow to prevent babies from escaping. Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying the outflow and inflow is on overkill. What I found to work best is buying breeder boxes separately (roughly 12-13$/ea on amazon) and a water pump separately (roughly 12-13$/ea, I used a low rated Rio pump), and tinker with it until you can adapt that to run 2-3 breeder boxes. That's currently how I'm doing it for my 3x Breeder Boxes on my 60P.

Shrimp fan

Got any pictures of your breeder box your willing to share.

Shrimp fan

Got any pictures of your breeder box your willing to share.

I'll have to update you when I get home and reconnect everything. I broke down my 60P last night to swap mineralizers and the boxes were also broken down and everything disconnected.

post-210-141935114911_thumb.jpg

I'll make a video tonight and link it here.

I gotta say, $45 for what the guy made is a tad steep lol.

But the biggest issue I see is if the outflows get clogged, at least with an air pump the overflow in the middle could handle it, I don't know about if it would handle the pump.

I prefer just using an air pump and breeder box, sure its a tad noisy but in the basement it doesn't matter :)

I just use a few pieces of airline tubing to connect to my HOB, I keep Pintos and high end TBs in the breeder box this way and it's been pretty successful.

R1DSC00012_zps6e2dd435.jpg

R1DSC00013_zpsa37600b0.jpg

Randy, what are you keeping in the net baskets?  I bought some of them and thought they might be good breeders though I really like the one you have in the photo. 

Randy, what are you keeping in the net baskets?  I bought some of them and thought they might be good breeders though I really like the one you have in the photo. 

I put snowflake food in the basket so they don't drift everywhere in the tank (not saying that is a problem).

Shrimps really like it too, and it is also a way to catch shrimps easily.

20140806_012010_zpscvqeicaa.jpg

Rqndy, how do you link the airline to the hob?

Nothing special, because HOB is higher so just stick a piece of airline in the HOB, siphon the airline and water will keep coming out, gravity does all the work.

I got sidetracked by Christmas and restarting my 60P so sorry for the delay. Here's a video of the setup. The water pump was supplying water for 3 tanks before the restart but I decided to take a box down and clean up the overall look of the tank.

https://vimeo.com/115412353

It's feed from a UGF but in hindsight id probably ask Han to make me a filter guard and not taken the UGF route. Regardless, I can't just take the UGF out now so I'm making the best of it, but future setups will not have a UGF feeding the water pump.

Shrimpfan. What kind of boxes are those? I had Marina a while back, but it didn't have that sliding little pan across the outlit.

Bryce,

I’m also using Marina Breeder Boxes (available on Amazon at a really great price) and the sliding mesh is a modifier addon item I picked up in Asia (they also use breeder boxes with same specs) specifically designed for shrimp and shrimlets. These are really great because it offers the same fine mesh filter guard protection but designed to allow the excess water flow from the water pumps to be driven up and out over a larger surface area. This prevents clogging and allows the water to move out over a bigger surface area. Also, I really like it because shrimps can’t climb this type of outflow addon because it’s a smooth surface. I’ve cut fine mesh and placed it over the outflow in the past but shrimps easily climb over it (mesh acts like a ladder for them) and so I’ll randomly find shrimps in and out of the boxes.

So far, I haven’t seen this available in NA.