oh noes hair algae! help!

EbiBunBun

I noticed yesterday morning that there were little filaments that were almost invisible like fine hairs on my flame moss. By the evening it looked like it was covered/wrapped in it. It looked like it was going to suffocate it. Last night before bed I pulled all the flame moss out. When I pulled the threads out they are bright green. I'm guessing this is hair algae. I'm new to the whole panted tank thing, but I have heard of this being a bad thing. The moss has been in this tank for a couple weeks and this is the first I've seen of this. The only new changes are the new LED light strip and new foods I have been feeding since Friday. What should I do? Should I toss it?

Lights are on most of the day. I havent been timing it, but more than 12hrs most likely. I tested day before yesterday, parameters were Ammonia almost .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. I dosed with a bit of Prime in case it was really Ammonia (I'm using the API kit and sometimes it hard to tell) and cut back on the food. Todays tests were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. Time for water change and cut back on the lights. Pulled all the moss and will be holding off on the Shrimp Souffle for awhile until I find a better way of using it. May only give it pure less often and I am going to try making a 50\50 batch with Super Green.

• 4 months later...