25g mr aqua cube

Subtletanks91

I took the plunge on Saturday and ordered a mr aqua. My first rimless tank!!! I am super exited for this. I'm tearing down my 55g to make room for this and a future cube as well.

I'm not sure what I plan on doing to the cube scape wise but I'm keeping it simple maybe 8 species of plants. And it will house my apistogramas. Frogs, choco gurami, sterbai Cory (until I get a school of dwarf or Pygmy cories) ottos and snails.

Set up will be a fluval 405 with poppy pipes retro fitted to it. Gla atomic v2 for co2. Pps pro. Amazonia. And either two finnex epoch lights or a planted plus led... Not sure on this yet what do you guys think lighting wise?

I will be taking photos as I go along with this tank, I am super exited!!!

So far so good. I set the tank up. Substrate and all. Filled with water. But the epoch light I have on it is not near bright enough. I'm hoping that I sell my 55 I tore down today to this guy that's interested for his turtles. Then I'll get my Bml. All my plants and fish are in a bucket with a sponge filter and heater running. Did a water change this morning.

Here it is so far.

I have filled it with water and have to get my slopes back with the substrate wince the water made it all swish around.

post-90-0-33129700-1396028197_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-89638400-1396028205_thumb.jpg

just keep in mind amazonia will leach ammonia for a few weeks. the 3L i used in my 5 gal leached a fair bit  (80 ppm ) for about 3 weeks doing water changes 3 days for the first couple weeks. i would do 50%-75% water changes. and keep in mind that amazonia will drop your ph pretty low too depending on what water you use be it ro or tap water. make sure your fish can handle a ph of mid 6 range.

He broken down his 55g with the Aquasoil already cycled.

And he got it from Marine depot i'm pretty sure. 

Its the same cube as mine :)

Lol yeah hw amazonia is already cycled and my fish are used to and been breeding in ph 6.4. Apistogramas add choco guarami.

I did get it from marine depot. 145 shipped. I'll be planting everything possibly this Sunday and use my planted plus from my ten gallon shrimp tank and use he epoch on the ten gallon.

So far so good!!!! Except my daughter keeps messing with my phone and I can't figure out what settings she changed to make it so grainy and unclear and jumbled up. I'll have to figure that out tomorrow lol.

But everything is planted minus the glosso for the big empty space on the front. And some rotala Singapore and ludwigia brevipes to add to the existing ones in the back middle and back right side along with some limno aromatica all which I am getting from Han. Thanks bro!!!

I'm going for more of a Dutch tank this time. And a lot less hard scape. Right now I am blacking out my shrimp tank to get the string algae under control. And using the finnex epoch I had along with the planted plus on my mr aqua until I can sell my 55 and use that money to get my Bml I've been waiting so patiently to get!!!!!

post-90-0-25621300-1396156758_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-97452600-1396156766_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-16661700-1396156785_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-69360300-1396156796_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-76646100-1396156805_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-24401500-1396156814_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of growth in the last two weeks, I've upped my co2 quite a bit to around 5bps, I'll be upping it more to deal with my new light I have coming. A Dutch 6300k 90*angle 18" Bml :D I have officially joined the club!!!

I had a couple of special stems added to the tank courtesy of Han in my last order from him. A.r. Variegated, and sygnothanus madera, which are both growing quite well.

I wish I could get the photos to come out the same color they appear in reall life, I still haven't gotten the hang of my phone yet, it's the nokia lumia 920 if anyone has this let me know what my photo setting should be on.

Anywho, I'm thinking of taking the syngno and swapping spot with the a.r. So the transition from tall to short is more seamless and there's not such a big gap between the right middle and right front.

post-90-0-09748900-1397366913_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-35545200-1397366920_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-67370800-1397366927_thumb.jpg

So I shit my filter flow off for about an hour to move some plants around and trim some roots. When I started to notice that my plants started to pearl or have been pearling but I couldn't tell because my flow.

This is a first for me. But I also noticed something very distressing. As well as my plants are gaining coverage, growing, coloring out. I found that I have thread algae starting in this tank. How the hell did that happen you ask. I don't know. I am unaware of any imbalance so I can't really fix it only use preventative peroxide and excel spot treatments. I have bba covering my hard scape but nothing on my plants. How does this happen?

post-90-0-76681200-1397448843_thumb.jpg

Alagefix will kill thread algae.

Don't use with shrimps in your tank though.

I know you don't have any in there just letting others knows

I may grab some today and dose it in the tank. I do have ottos, a Cory, a bn pleco and two amano shrimp though I'm worried about. But the Amanos did survive two one two punch treatments so I'm fairly confident in them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dosed the algae fix with not one problem. And since the nitrate got watered down with a 75% wc it has not returned.

But guess what guys. I got my Bml in today!!!! Going to set it up tonight. Snap some photos do a trim and sell the trimmings so I can see what this light can really do on growth

I apologize ahead of time for photo quality again. Still tweaking the phone. But guess what!!!!! I got my freaking Bml in and I love it. I also added a floating moss island with fissidens in it.

I may end up taking out the glosso and carpeting with something else. Or taking some of the glosso out and planting blood stargrass in place.

post-90-0-33614900-1398313872_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a brief update on my tank. Tore out some of the glosso. Split my erio. Got rid of my bba problem. Fighting a small blue green algae problem. And made it into a scaped riparium!!!!!

post-90-0-94297100-1399659237_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-62051800-1399659246_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-55240900-1399659258_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-23177800-1399659269_thumb.jpg

What I would do is put half a bottle of alg affix in a 5g bucket with 4.5g of water. Use another bucket with peroxide. And another with excel. Peroxide I never measure I just dump. Usually I use about 1.5 cup and 4.5g water. Excel use a smaller bucket with like 1/4 a cup excel to three gallons of water. Put the moss in peroxide for 10 minutes. In the excel for 10 minutes. Let it rest in a small container of tank water for an hour. And then hit it with the algae fix bucket. It's like the one two punch but it's a 3 puncher for hard to hit stuff. Usually dies off almost immediately. I haven't had any problem using it with stems or moss. But it is white risky. Once it done rinse it off before you out it back in the shrimp tank so no algae fix is left on it