cycle problem suggestion please

robt666

I would gamble it UNLESS your a very patient person which I'm not. 

Just put substrate then fill to top and let your heater do it's thing till the temp is right. 

Then add prime as dosage recommended.

Wait 10 minutes.

Add shrimp and dose stability for 7 days.

Dose prime every 48 hours for the next 7 days.

After 7 days have passed, measure for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate

Well if you have ordered both for some reason without setting up the tank first it sounds like you have no choice.  I personally would never put shrimp in an uncycled tank huge waste of money and its not fair to the poor shrimp to die a slow agonizing death in an uncycled tank. Also there is no biofilm for the shrimp to eat so if the tank cycle doesnt kill them they could slowly starve.  Shrimp are grazers and the occaisonal feeding of shrimp foods is more for us than to satisfy all their food intake.

Well if you have ordered both for some reason without setting up the tank first it sounds like you have no choice.  I personally would never put shrimp in an uncycled tank huge waste of money and its not fair to the poor shrimp to die a slow agonizing death in an uncycled tank. Also there is no biofilm for the shrimp to eat so if the tank cycle doesnt kill them they could slowly starve.  Shrimp are grazers and the occaisonal feeding of shrimp foods is more for us than to satisfy all their food intake.

I think the shrimp community takes cycling a bit over their head. The amount of ammonia produced by shrimp poop is close to 0 unless you have 100+ shrimp and fed a lot. So the only issue here is biofilm build up. Dosing Bacter AE daily or every other day should help.

If it comes with the new fluval substrate it will leach ammonia, your going to have to cycle the tank until it stops leeching ammonia. I personally would cycle the tank for 4 week's to provide time for development of bio film and beneficial bacteria. 

I have an idea, go and buy a critter keeper from a lfs or pet store, and fill with tap water, add enough prime and buy a small air pump and hook it up to the tank, add some gravel and a plant or two, and then add a deskblamp above it and throw some food in it before shrimp get there, and the shrimp should be fine for awhile if you can have it setup for a week or so before they arrive.

I have an idea, go and buy a critter keeper from a lfs or pet store, and fill with tap water, add enough prime and buy a small air pump and hook it up to the tank, add some gravel and a plant or two, and then add a deskblamp above it and throw some food in it before shrimp get there, and the shrimp should be fine for awhile if you can have it setup for a week or so before they arrive.

i think that is a much better idea that just crossing your fingers and hoping they make it.  Is there anyone you know that has an established tank that you can beg borrow or steal some of their filter media or anything that might already have some beneficial bacteria that will help cycle the new tank?  i think the cbs are going to have a hard time either way.  I wish you good luck!

I agree with aquariumlover. I had a similar problem once. I put the shrimps into a 10 G plastic container (storage box) with lots of plants and some leaves. My shrimps did well. After my tank was cycled, I transferred my shrimps. If you put your shrimps into an uncycled tank, it will probably mean their death. It is the nitrite that will kill them during the establishment of the bacterial communities. AFTER the nitrite peaks and goes back to zero, it should be OK to put your shrimps into the tank.

oh i forgot to mention i do have 20g tank with fish( i just dont want to mix then with my yoyo loach i dont trust them the loach might harass or kill my new shrimps

i bought it on boxing day so all of them are for sale 

thanks for the great ideas

----> can i use the same water on my 20g to my fluval ebi to help with the cycle and add my zebra danio?

---->