Help, opinions, snails & shrimp

I recently got some plants, moss, etc and now I have lots of snails. Which is fine. There are al lot of tiny, tiny baby snails, but they grow very fast, and I am seeing more and more of them with my crystal red shrimp.

What I want to know is how everyone feels about the snails that are shrimp keepers.

Pros, cons, opinions, good, bad, helpful, problem issues with them, good things about them? Anything that can help me with the snails. Keeping them, leaving them be, get rid of them, help them, let them multiply, etc. I need as many opinions on them as I can get from shrimp keepers. Are there a lot of shrimp keepers that have snails? Help please, I need to make a decision on them.

Thanks so much, Doc

This is a very debatable subject.

I like snails. There are so many kinds as well as colors. But the simple fact remains too many of them will out compete the shrimp for food. I can't tell you how many times I put food in the tank and the shrimp didn't get any. Lol I didn't spend 25$ a bottle of bw food for snails haha

bit there are also certain snails that can be beneficial. IE mts, nerites etc.

this is really up to each person. I. Sure other will chime in soon

i dont mind them. they only time they become a prob is if you over feed. if you get to many snails put p leaf of lettuce in the tank and leave it. stick it down with a fork or chopsticks and pull it in a few hours or in the morning and snails are gone. i am not a fan of nerite snails due to ugly eggs. never fails even if i only have one i get eggs and they are a pain and leave a white spot when you scrape them off. i have mostly rams horn now and they are pretty easy to keep under control.

Haha I had rams horn as well. Han has them all now. Nothing would keep them under control for me. I took my shrimp out. Tried no planaroa to kill em. Algae fix overdose. Cupramine. Fen. Nothing lol

the nerites I understand the white egg thing. But that's only if you get females. And there easy enough to just remove if you do get a female. Its just one snail.

I like them all.

They never breed out of control for me.

But I also don't often.

Once every 2-3 days

They keep my tank clean, eat left over foods my shrimps don't eat so I never have to take out uneaten foods.

+1 What Han said.

When I feel they are getting out of control, or a population explosion, I play "snail breeder."

I remove as many undesirables as I can, and leave the ones I think are pretty.

I have been getting some very, very pretty rams horns lately by doing this. Bright orange, pink, and "peach opals".

Pond snails are my least favorite, but got some interesting white ones with black spots I call "appaloosas".

It's more fun to go with it than fight it because you will never really get rid of them.

-Stef*

I have pink ramshorns. I had common ones in the past and lost them. This time they took over the tank in less than a month. Eggs everywhere. They compete with shrimp for food unless you put the food where the snails can't reach. Since they are not good swimmers you can hang a feeding dish out of their reach.

This time I started off with 6 ramshorns. Now I have a couple hundred.

Mistery snails or snails too small are a pain. They reach into your filter, multiply very fast and it's hard to nuke them. Assassin snails will wipe everything out if they're hungry.

Wow, that is great. Thanks everyone for your answers. That helps. I think they are okay, and will help keep the tank clean.

I guess I will just have to keep an eye on them and if they start to get too many, I will take them out, one at a time. I guess.

That is interesting what wicca32 said about putting a piece of lettuce in the tank, and by the next day, the snails are gone.

I have not heard of that before. Are you talking about just a regular piece of lettuce? Have you tried this before wicca32?

so, you use it like bait, a trap, to take out a good bunch of them. That is a great idea, that I will

have to remember.  Thanks, wicca32

Hey wicca32, I tried the lettuce thing, but didn't get a single snail interested. Some of the shrimp picked at a little, but

that's about it. I put a small piece of regular iceberg lettuce, with a plant anchor on it, and put it into the substrate with

a small piece poking up from the substrate, and left it there for about 8 hours, and not a single snail?  Did I do

something wrong?

Like everything it's all about balance... I used to hate snails in my tanks but I now happily leave with them .. there are useful cleaners and are of great help if you have a live substrate....don't overfeed and try to keep them in check with a few clea helena  from my experience they have no influence on shrimps....keep in mind that I have a big RCS colony so if they do prey on baby shrimps It is minimal  .......because my colony of RCS keep on growing ....My big tank has got fish, snails, and shrimps all living together ...no problems... :)

thanks for the tips. I appreciate that. I don't really have a problem with the snail and the shrimp, I just don't want the snail to overtake my tank, but

I seem to have nerites, and ramshorns. I would like my tank to only have the ramshorns or Malaysia trumpet snails, and not have nerites.

From what I understand, the ramshorns and the mayaysia trumpet snails are the best snails to keep with CRS, CBS, Tigers, Yellow neons, blues, shrimps.

So, I am trying to keep the nerites population from exploding, is all.  I think it is probably a good thing to have some snails with your shrimps. But I

went back and forth trying to decide about them.   lol

Thanks, soothing shrimp, that is good to know. So no matter what, the nerite's I have now, won't increase because their eggs won't survive?

Wow, great stuff to know!

I hate pest snails lol. I pull them off and feed to my discus they love them haha. Lettuce trick,also works. If,you have carnivores, drop them into the tank tasty snack and no snail's

-Chris