Empty Tank need suggestion for idea tank for freshwater shrimp

Bobby

I am new to freshwater shrimp. I need suggestion to the Ideal tank. I have a 30 gallon tank that was free. I have to got to try shrimp. By the way it is tank # 12.

I think it matters a little what kind of shrimp you want to do. Some are much more picky than others, and that would greatly affect your choice of substrates, filters, etc. Have your eye on any in particular yet?

tap water is neutral I have just about all freshwater fish. 11 Tanks.  A Oscar tank gallon, A Angle tank 45 gallon , a 1" community tank 75 gallon , a community tank with sharks and tinfoil barbs 100 gallons , a African tank 30 gallon , a goldfish tank 150 gallon, a catfish tank 30 gallon. a Discus tank being cycled 75 gallon and 2 hospital tanks.  Now a 30 gallon shrimp tank when I get the tank ideas from this site and what it should have in it.

You have the right idea, first of all.  The more water, the more stable- and shrimp are more sensitive than fish to keep.  You will have to measure gh/kh and TDS in addition to the "fish water" tests.

If you want crystals (crs/cbs), OEBT, BTOE or TB, you are looking for a ph of closer to 6, which can be done by a buffering substrate with a lower than room temp.

If you want neos, your ph 7+ should be fine with room temp.

If you want Sulawesi, you are looking at 8+ for ph and a temp of 80+

Just about any snails are fine with shrimp, as long as they match the temp desired.  Assassin snails are teh exception.  They do a great job of getting rid of snail infestations, but also can get rid of some of your shrimp, too.

• 3 weeks later...

as far as the snails, malaysian trumpet is good for cleaning the substrate/bottom of leftovers and such

definitely use a hob/canister filter and a spongefilter

if you havent given breeders n keepers magazine a good read yet, theres tons of information in there if you want to get nerded out on shrimp, along with the best pics on shrimp out there to give you an idea of what color you might like, body type, etc.

I started slow unintentionally, my first shrimp were cherry shrimp for a planted tank of mine to clean algae up, loved em so much i got online and learned more and got stuck on em.  My first dedicated was a 10g, would have started with a 20g if I had known at the time about bigger is easy to maintain params as SoothingShrimp discussed.

hope this helps! 

If you have a lot of tanks you, should be good with shrimps! They are easy and don't require,the large water changes. Its better to leave them alone for,the most,part. I would start with some neos and work your way up. They breed fast and will satisfy your bug, to fill the tank when starting. Now I start with 5-10 and let them go. Used to think you needed like 50 but,you don't lol. I have good luck with smaller tanks for some reason. I find them easier to keep but the parameters do vary and mostly because it's hard,to dose anything correctly and do a water Change that small. I just drip my water in my tanks and seems to work well they adjust.

-Chris