Carbon in hob filter question

Soothing,

If you can do freshwater shrimp you can do salt .  A friend has a 20 gallon long ,74 degrees (room temp) ,filtered with only an emperor 280 filter and it is thriving with 10lbs live rock flame scallops (they don't like it over 78) assorted Atlantic cucumbers, starfish , hermits , Atlantic local feather dusters , non pointy urchins and shrimp .

Like Doc said a skimmer is also great but he just does weekly small water changes .

I might do one like his but would add a pair of Catalina gobies.  I kept salt years ago the archaic way with UG filters and they did well .  The diversity of inverts is what I loved .

My harlequins bred a few times but I was never able to get the babies to grow .  I know there are articles on breeding other common marine shrimp but that seems like a BIG pain.

Doc,

The top shrimp is very pretty , I suspect difficult with them is an under statement , lol.

I read about them they seem to have a incredibly high death rate.

Yeah, I have heard that too.

I would love to get some of these. They are expensive, and the water has to be just

right, but they are very cool! They are both freshwater.

I have cardinals! Harlequins are the almost impossible to find. Cardinals are cheaper than what most pay for Taiwan bees. Cardinals from a tank bred should be 10-12. Other than the crazy guy on Aquabid wanting 140 for 6. Which is crazy,

-Chris

Wow, no kidding, I actually could afford some Cardinals at the 10 - 12 price.   lol

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, no kidding, I actually could afford some Cardinals at the 10 - 12 price. lol

Just try to get some from oblong don't buy from a source you don't know. If they sell them right after importing they will more than likely die. Helps to pay the extra for express shipping. First time did priority and had 2 doa, 2nd did express none. So worth the extra money.

-Chris

Louie, I appreciate the encouragement. I just may delve into a tenner with saltwater shrimp later this year. In your opinion, what is the easiest sw shrimp to breed?

I picked up an Americle Sump today for $10 lol. Going to turn my free 55g into a SW, will be my first venture to. Will probably do a shrimp and goby tank. I am fascinated by them lol.

-Chris

Ctaylor,

There are countless ways to do salt but if I was doing a 55, I would only buy 25 lbs of live rock because too much rock displaces that much water and if anything you get dead spots instead of water circulating by the rocks . You can always add more if you want .

Gobies love the rock because they enjoy crevices to hide in or around and it becomes their territory .  I would place the rock on pieces of egg crate (only under the immediate rock not the whole tank) never in direct contact with the glass than add an inch of reef sand and after it cycled due to the rock . 

I would add a couple of Atlantic cucumbers and or the little white sand stars . They sift through the sand and keep it clean .

The colorful cucumbers can poison the water if they die .

A skimmer be it in the sump or hang like CPR backpack or the Remora are great skimmers but there are countless now.

The most expensive part is the initial set up because the rock isn't cheap at 25 lbs and the skimmer isn't cheap.

There are several goby and shrimp combos . I myself like the Dracula goby or the orange stripe prawn goby but there are several others .

There are other fish you could add which would get along well with goby/shrimp teams which stay on the bottom while other fish stay mid tank .

Nano-reef is a great site but most of them go full blown reef with hard coral which I never liked plus when I had tank the only lighting we had was flourescent .

You can have a great tank without difficult coral because even feather dusters all over look great.

I never had the goby/shrimp combo , I did have a yellow watchman goby but again nano-reef is very good .