Protein - what provides the best source?

I know protein is important to shrimp but what is a good source of it food wise? I do feed bloodworms once every two weeks but does that really have much in it?

Suppliers here - if you have something could you send me a link as well? Nothing with Astaxanthin in it... please and thank you :) 

I have excess Repashy Meat Pie. Might that be okay to supplement with (as an occasional food, not a staple)? When I say excess, I mean it: I ordered the small jar and got sent the big one. There is absolutely no way that I will ever finish it off before the vitamins lose potency and I need to get a new jar. So the more uses for it, the better.

My understanding is that bloodworms are very high in protein: freeze-dried, they are 65% protein. That is quite a lot and I personally would not use them except as a treat.

Stan, I do that with my Malawas.  They tend to need protein if they are a big colony or they'll cannibalize.  So I've fed fish flake food, and healthy fish/crays that passed.  I like the idea of the deceased animals going back into the food chain instead of just disposing of them.

go spirulina algae. its a great plant basted protein so it does not cause molt issues like meat protein

This may be a dumb question but can you buy it in 'food' form or is it something you have to make grow in your tank?

Han - I just checked your site and don't see the HAN baby food?? Only 3 HAN food products listed

I will have 15 types of food, just waiting for materials and such.

I can do a few baby foods.

Let me know if your interested. :)

Han - so it's called baby food but it's good protein for all shrimp right? And no ast...whatever that word is that I can never remember... lol

I have my order nearly ready, I'm just waiting to see who wins that March RAOK before I finish it up, lol

Correct no ast. I didn't use it in any of my food brand :)

Its mainly sea algae, spriulina, and beta g.

OK sounds good. I'm going extend my raok for another weekend because some people aren't able to get validated.

I was looking at GlasGarten shrimp dinner. I like the ingredients there too.

http://www.hanaquatics.com/shrimp-dinner/

Han is out of the smaller pads though. Would really like to get some.

I am trying to feed the shrimp 'naturally' with tons of biofilm and leaves. I do give frozen blood worms once every two weeks and they do get their snowflake (that they are all addicted to) but I'd like something that is well rounded and ok for daily too (not going to feed it daily).

So many foods out there, so hard to figure out what they really need

so true - my snowballs will not touch any green pellets. I have put the 'loops' in there one white, one green. They crawl over the green, eat the white and will ignore the green. lol

They also will not touch spinach or any 'real' food but they love their leaves... weirdos... ha ha

if you smell the SL-Aqua baby food you can smell how much spriulina it contains. smells so good.

http://www.discobee.com/collections/sl-aqua/products/sl-aqua-baby-food

there was fad going around for a little while where people were not feeding protein. only things like bacter ae and such.

and they started to notice their shrimp were becoming very unhealthy and questioned why?  When i recommended proteins are a must there was some push back.

you should also check out the SL-Aqua MORE Meat. it sells about 2:1 to MORE veggie.

best part.... doesnt get all soft and foul your water parameters like many other protein based foods out there.

this is extremely important. pay attention to your foods. you dont want proteins to just get into your soil.

http://www.discobee.com/collections/sl-aqua/products/sl-aqua-m-o-r-e-meat