tank stand - bigger than tank

So, I got this tank stand today. It's made for 'up to 29 gallons'. I got this one since I read a review that says a 10 gallon would fit in the bottom.

I just put it together (yea, really behind getting ready for the dream blues). Now I have a dilemma - the top has cross bars, is VERY sturdy but, of course it's bigger than a 10 gallon which is going on top. The tank is glass.

So - do I put it to the side so there is more support or in the middle? Will it be alright in the middle with just the two cross bars holding it? Or... did I mess up and now have to go get a piece of wood to cover the top?

And, while a 10 gallon really will fit in the bottom, it only does so if you sit it on the ground, so not sure what I will do with that. 

I still really like the stand. It has leveling feet so it is very sturdy and stable but I guess I didn't think this all the way through.

Thoughts?

post-507-0-41663400-1425436096_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-92703300-1425436096_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-48147000-1425436097_thumb.jpg

for sure get something to put down and if your worried about looks spray paint it black to match the stand. even if i was going to put a 29 on it i would get some ply or osb and spray it with black enamel pant to help seal the wood before i put a tank on a stand with open spots,

i had a 10 on a 10gal stand one of the iron ones and hubby hit it hard enough it moved and fell though the opening. didnt break but sure scared the crap out of me as hard as it hit the bottom of the stand. still not really sure how it didnt shatter

what is osb? And ok, that's what I thought was going to be the answer. It all went so well in my mind, then I put it up and thought... "Oh crap" (well that is the nicer version) lol

Grrrrr - shrimp are coming, the tank might have to go on the floor for now. I knew better... I knew to pre-plan... and then I clicked 'buy' anyhow... (hangs head in shame)

I have a very similar tank that housed a 40B on top, and I put a 20L on the floor underneath. Annoyed the heck out of me! I ended up downsizing to a double 20L stand. At least now I can fully see and work with the bottom tank.

I'd return it or keep for a larger tank. Or add a top as suggested and use the extra space to the side for storage or a mini jar.

Thank you! I'll keep the stand and just get the topper for it tomorrow. They had one made for a 10 gallon but it made me nervous (tall and thin) so I wanted something longer than the tank, I just didn't think through the top part.

Who knows, I might get something (later) to put in the bottom to raise it up. 

At least the shrimp don't seem to mind my lack of engineering skills (or common sense, lol). As of tonight I have 3 berried BVs, so I guess I am doing something right, inside the tanks...ha ha

Yes I was SO excited. But the light I have on that tank makes them all look so washed out in pics. I can see the blue with my eyes but I can't get it to come through on the pics.

I know they love the 'subdued' lighting but it really makes getting pics a pain.

I can't get another single tank... no matter what... seriously... so after the DBs arrive and settle in I will slowly work on upgrading the lights. I'm happy with most of the rest of it though.

Would that work? Having two on the top? I thought I had to have a base completely under the tank?

I wouldn't have any of the tank hanging over unsupported.  If you put a board on top of the stand that is fully underneath the tanks, it would work but probably look strange.

Why don't you ditch the 10 gallon and upgrade to a tank that actually fits the stand?

Depends how much is hanging off.  I have had several overhang 2" and were never a problem.  If concerned, you could still have wood overhang 2" as well to be flat. 

The truth is the cheaper tenners have a plastic rim that frame the bottom and takes the weight of the entire tank.  Any overhang is not a problem because the plastic frame is still intact.  The bottom middle glass doesn't even touch the wood.

Over hang would work either way but in this case a board would probably required anyways to fill in the gap as 2 - 10 gallons turned wouldn't span the whole stand either.  Since it looks like this is in a display area, I wouldn't have them overhanging but that's my taste, if it was on a rack in a fish room it'd be okay but I still wouldn't do it :).

It's in my bedroom, lol

I bought it knowing the top was bigger than the 10 gallon and I did that on purpose. I just didn't think through the amount of 'open space' on the top. I'm going to the hardware store at lunch to see what they can do for me.

For a split second I wondered if a 20 long would fit on the top and I had to stop myself, lol

I love all of the opinions and ideas :)

The 20 long is a nice size to work with if you don't mind hunting for tops and lights to accomodate the 30" length. I call it not too big, not too small ;) and the shorter depth is good for those of us trying to grow plants. It isn't so long that it's difficult to get good circulation going, as well.

The 20 long is a nice size to work with if you don't mind hunting for tops and lights to accomodate the 30" length. I call it not too big, not too small ;) and the shorter depth is good for those of us trying to grow plants. It isn't so long that it's difficult to get good circulation going, as well.

A 20 long would fit the stand perfectly but yea... I was thinking about trying to get a top for it, then probably need 2 dual sponges... special lights etc etc and really just tried to talk myself out of it. NO MORE TANKS (this is me telling myself this, lol)

If I have to paint or treat the wood that is going to go under the tank... it looks like the new shrimp will be going into a critter keeper I luckily have. Fortunately I have enough 'stuff' (cholla, rocks etc) from other tanks to put in there and the stuff to jump start a cycle but wow.... F- on this preparation