Winter and breeding

MLK

What is it about the winter that causes breeding to slow down? If we have tanks where temperature and light cycles are regulated and don't change, is it the varying magnetic field of the earth that let's them know it's wintertime?

i would think pressure difference but could be the magnetic pull as well. i did seem to regulate my crs that i had in my bedroom a year ago though. i had long light cycles im talking like 12 hours a day some times more and they also got daylight from the window across the room. i had central heat and air so temps stayed about 70-72. i never really saw much drop in breeding with them where as the few in the other room with the rest of the shrimp did stop breeding. it was a pretty mild winter that year too. 

Yeah I figured it would be based off of light cycles, but almost everyone has timers on their lights. What I didn't take into account is the sunlight that comes in could affect when they think the day starts or ends depending on the season.

well at the time the tank in my room was north facing so they got northern light just about all day. light outside and then i would get up any where from 9-noon lol and their light would come on. i would turn it off at night when i went to bed be it as early as 10 pm or as late as 2 or 3am. yes im a night owl lol. so yeah they had alot of light. and oddly enough i have never had algae issues. heck my 55 for the longest time i never turned the light off.

How long does it take for shrimp to breed, once they go into a new home? Does it take awhile for them

to get used to being in their new tank? How old do they have to be before they start breeding?

doc that is a mixed question. it can take a couple weeks to a couple months to get used to a new home (think about the last time you moved lol) as for age different shrimp take different amounts of time. neos i think about 3 months. cards can take up to about 6 months and the oebt i had took almost 10 months to reach breeding age. they are some of the longest i think there is. im not sure about tb since i just got them.

I think several here keep their shrimp tanks in their basement and come winter the temps are cooler and they do not breed.  I do not have a basement so the day temps here are 76 and night 72 . Shrimp breed all year long