How could that happen

Jadenlea

Wow.   I was driving home from work today and saw a sign for a new fish hobby store so of course I had to stop in. 

He had 3 tanks of nano fish and shrimp.  On tank was red Rili and omg.  I saw the biggest  dwarf shrimp I have ever seen . the thing was at least an inch and a half long (it looks bigger in water it looked at least 2 inches but I know part of that is the water magnifying it)  and TALL and hugely fat.  

It was so big it look deformed and kind of scary looking.   I almost bought it just to have  because it was so strange looking but  it looked cloudy to me and I was not taking any chances.  I tried to get a picture with my phone but of course as soon as the camera came out, he disappeared in to some plants.  

How could a shrimp get that big?????

Surprisingly the others in the tank looked really good.  Dark red. nice clear bodies  and active and healthy.  Swimming amongst the fish.  

its not hard really. kinda like fish i think some shrimp grow to their environment. had had some shrimp in a breeder box with angel babies to help clean extra food. a few got out thought he gate in the out flow. when i was breaking down said tank to move i found several that really were a couple inches long. put all the other shrimp to shame. the ones i had in the breeder box stayed an inch or under and ones in the tank were huge. it does happen

I have the occasional shrimp grow that big.  I think it is just random.  Kinda like how some humans grow unusually tall.

If you wanted (and it IS a neo,) you could go back to the store and get the shrimp, and try to breed to create your own race of giants.  If well no problems.  If sick, there is always the chance of babies before death.  Just a gamble, but I've done worse gambles that paid off.

LOL Soothing. I should have known you would say that.  :)      But since you responded soothing, I should add that the guy who works in the store swears he has  a tank full of blue rilis with purple head and tail.     He says he didnt do it on purpose and had no real interest in breeding shrimp... He is a  plant guy and has some special kind of plant tank  (water one the bottom, then a rack over the water that you put the plants on and they grow out of your tank)   Anyway he tossed a bunch of rili shrimp and there and "some blue shrimp"   and just ignored them for a long time and now.. supposedly.....  he has all kinds of rili in there.. some with purple.  He was shocked by my interest and didnt think there was anything special about them.. He figured he had just ruined them all.  

I am doubtful but I gave him my email address and asked him to send me pictures hehe.    If he really has some purple in there,  it might help with that project we talked about.  

Monty, it was definitely a huge Rili.   Total red rili pattern.   

May I ask where this new store is? It looks like you are in NH and im not far. It would be nice to check out a new store. I have spent way too much $ at Jays Aquatics in Salem.

Two things usually happen.  One is that people try to impress you with something that may not be true when they find out you are knowledgeable about shrimp, the other is many times people not knowledgeable about the shrimp hobby have misinformation about the shrimp they have.

Had it happen many times before. ;)

He never emailed   :(     LOL why do I feel stood up? 

Adrand, it is in manchester off second street.  If you are more than a few minutes away I don't think I would drive down.  Its a tiny place  although... I was really impressed that he had a good amount of nano fish that I had never seen anywhere else including Jays.  

The owner was not there that day.. He was out sick.  The guy working said he is super knowledgable  and does alot of special orders.  

But again.. I would hate to have you drive far . It is tiny and now much to see.    Here is the site  http://www.fishmike.com/

Adrand, it is in manchester off second street. If you are more than a few minutes away I don't think I would drive down. Its a tiny place although... I was really impressed that he had a good amount of nano fish that I had never seen anywhere else including Jays.

The owner was not there that day.. He was out sick. The guy working said he is super knowledgable and does alot of special orders.

But again.. I would hate to have you drive far . It is tiny and now much to see. Here is the site http://www.fishmike.com/

Thanks so much. Im about 20 minutes or so from Manchester so maybe I will wait until I am driving through to stop in. I usually hit Bass Pro up there every few months.

I like that they have some nano fish choices since as you mentioned jays has minimal variety. Usually just one tank of them. Although I did pick up some nice Daisy rice fish there that are now breeding like crazy.

Thanks again, at least it is another place to check out.