My Fish

Dendrobatez

Just got a few clown killifish and am a little excited to Im going to post some of my better fish pics.

Clown loach- I have 2 males and 2 females and their color is already looking better and they are a lot more active than in the LFS where I purchased them, I think its fairly stressful for them having so many people staring at them.

They spend all their time at the waters surface with the duckweed/frogbit roots, so far they are smaller than the chili rasboras and neon green tetras I have but they are supposed to get 30mm or so

035_zpsqh34b5e3.jpg

024_zpsya0ojazn.jpg

025_zpslojkvah9.jpg

Here is one of my Chili Rasboras, they are quite fast and like to stay in the dark spots of the tank so its not too easy to get a good picture

019_zpsidtglkul.jpg

Hockeystick Pencilfish, about 1.5x the size of the Rasboras but their mouths are super tiny. If ever there was a candidate for a shrimp tank mate I think this would be it, plus they spend about 95%  of their time in the top 1/3 of the tank looking up at the waters surface

016_zpsdd6w8zip.jpg

I have some other fish but I haven't been able to get any good pictures, so lastly here is a shrimp baby next to an airstone

072_zpszqtzqsli.jpg

• 2 months later...

Had the pencilfish breed several times but the offspring don't live more than a week. I'm thinking they run out of food small enough after that amount of time.

I'm am up 6 chili rasboras from what I originally bought which is surprising because I have some neon green tetras in the tank with them. Nothing on the killis yet though

Dendro, do you know if the other types of pencilfish also spend the majority of the time floating at an angle at the surface waiting to feed, or is this a behavior only seen in the "hockeystick" variety?

Here is a link to a few types of pencilfish, it gives some good information, but doesn't give specifics regarding the above.  

http://msjinkzd.com/?s=Nannostomus&x=10&y=6

It looks like the other varieties are smaller than the hockeystick at maturity, but I thought I'd ask about where they spend most of their time in case you or anyone else has knowledge you could pass on.