Inaccurate Gh and Kh Test Kit?

Necrectic

Hi guys. Either I'm dyslexic or API messed up.  post-1637-0-10138300-1426022615_thumb.jppost-1637-0-60525400-1426022625_thumb.jp

The instructions looks inverted. It says that in order to check the KH I have to keep adding drops until it changes from BLUE to YELLOW. And in order to check GH I have to keep adding drops until it changes from ORANGE to GREEN.

The small detail is that the KH solution is ORANGE, not BLUE. And the GH solution is GREEN, not ORANGE. Any advice on this issue?

Thanks beforehand for the help guys!

Fill the tube to the line (5mL) then add one drop of either gH or kH solution, cap then invert. Keep adding a drop at a time capping and inverting in between each drop until the color changes. Count the drops, each drop is one degree.

Buy this if you want more accuracy.

Link: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201298956722

It's what I use for gH testing. It's more accurate and gives the varying degrees, not just 1,2,3,4. Etc.

I have to admit this is the one/two test that had me baffled at first. You get a long, complex set of instructions (ok.. maybe easy for some of you, but not for me) and an odd 'chart'.

I had to ask and finally figured out that your KH or GH equals the numbers of drops it took to make the water change color in the tube.

Yes, the solution in the bottle is the same color as your endpoint for titration.

I am also doubting the accuracy of these tests, so I may be trying out the ones ShrimpFan pointed out.

I found a thread where someone said the same thing (different colors) but they said to take a vile and put one drop of the KH in the vile (with tank water). Even though the bottle looks orange, they said it will turn blue when it touches your water. 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/270835-api-kh-gh-test-kit-questions/ 

when you add a liquid to water it doesn't mix instantly.

when you fist put a drop in,it's touching a fraction of what's in the tube,so it thinks it's a lot harder then it is.

that's why you invert to mix it.

my tap has 20dGH.

after i test 8dGH,i dump in sink and run the water,it goes green to orange.

Good find on the Hanna kot Shrimpfan. Never knew they made a drop kit. I will have to order one for that price even though I dont usually test gh. Does it work with the shrimp daddy stuff? I know he said the minerals can give false readings.

Good find on the Hanna kot Shrimpfan. Never knew they made a drop kit. I will have to order one for that price even though I dont usually test gh. Does it work with the shrimp daddy stuff? I know he said the minerals can give false readings.

Yep yep. Works with SD's stuff. Who do you think first recommend me to use hanna brand? [emoji1]

And no the instructions arent backwards, as soon as you add the first drop to the test tube of water the solution turns the opposite color of what it is in the reagent bottle. So the gH solution is green but add a drop to the test tube and solution turns orange, then continue adding a drop at a time capping and inverting until the test tube solution turns green. The only exception is testing pure RO water those solutions on the first drop green for gH and yellow for kH.

I bought the hanna gh drops to try with the SD products. I just can't see the hanna and the api being too far different from each other. I guess I'll find out.

ShrimpFan, have you compared the differences between the API and the Hanna test kits as far as accuracy goes?

Yep. I'm conducted many tests actually. I documented it and was going to make a post at one point in time but I never did. I figured most folks don't care much for super accuracy so I never did the write up.

To sum it up, I found that API gave a +2 value for gH.

That is kind of worrisome. I've always regarded my test results as approximate since I know they are not precise tests, and I deliberately do not aim for delicate species that need very specific parameters. But I really hate having an error margin that large.

Yep. I'm conducted many tests actually. I documented it and was going to make a post at one point in time but I never did. I figured most folks don't care much for super accuracy so I never did the write up.

To sum it up, I found that API gave a +2 value for gH.

+2 across the board or is the disparity compounding?

I tested the Hanna against gH+, SL, and Revive Bianco and it was +2 across.

Bryce, I've found that 100TDS with gH+ will give a false 6dGH with API. it's actually just high 3s - 4dGH. I used to mineralize my tanks at 96-100 dosing per the recommended 1 scoop per 5gal. I've since changed it to 1scoop for 4gal before completely dropped GH+.

The above is based solely on my personal experiments. If your shrimps are happy with 100TDS then don't change it.

I'm open to any tests anyone does for shrimping, Shrimpfan.  I appreciate you sharing your results.  :)

I'll keep your info in the back of my head and at some point when I have some money to play with, I'll have to replicate your experiment. 

Do you think low ph could play a part in false readings?