Dream Blue rili and carbon rili

Hi all, I figured I'd ask the experts here and see what they say :D

I bought some shrimp off aquabid that were labeled as dream blue rili, but they look a lot like mixed grade carbon rilis to me. I was wondering if anyone knows, did dream blue rili come from carbons? Or even the other way around? I kind of wanted to add some high grade carbons to get more of the rili look but I'm not sure which I have or if interbreeding by mistake is going to give me wild colors.

Some had babies and they're not throwing other colors, some are tiger pattern, some rili and some blondes.

post-1624-0-19275600-1426693278_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Dream Blues were developed from Carbon Rili and a colony of Dream Blues will still throw Carbons.

Carbon rillis come from blue diamond if I'm not mistaken. I've never had blue dreams so I don't know sorry.

I think you are mistaken.

Blue Diamonds were developed from Chocolates which were developed from Painted Fire Reds.  I had a colony of Carbon Rili before Blue Diamonds were available. 

Not sure which came first.  I know I bought "black rilis" and sold them off before the carbon strain came out.

Some background info for anyone reading:

Chocolates occasionally throw carbons, reds, and the occasional blue, as well as the occasional wild.

The blue diamond was a selected var of chocolate, as well as the carbon.

Blue diamonds can produce carbons, chocolates, blacks, reds and other colors, but I have not found this to be the case with carbons.  (Maybe there is a true body strain color of carbons out there, but I have bought both blue body and clear body and found both will throw both clear and blue bodies.  I have been able to increase the blue body % by selective breeding, and I suspect others are doing teh same.)

Those shrimp from blue diamonds that did not display the phenotype wanted were sold as regular Diamonds.  These produce a rainbow of colors that can be kept together, and are often sought as a base to create a new var.  It is rare to find just regular diamond strain now. 

I asked the seller and will see what he says, my shrimp look just like carbons to me. They're not blue dream velvets, I know that. But they were sold as blue dream rili, which i haven't found much info on. A couple of the big females have started getting some brown spots, but other then that, only rili and totally clear shrimp from the babies.

So many different shrimp names out there!

I have splotched blue rilis, not sure if they are carbon or blue....some are dark blueish, some are lighter blueish and have patches on them, kinda cool looking.   My female is the one that produced all the dark blue babies...none of those were splotched.

here's a couple of mine, in with blue dreams, blue wizards and rilis.  This is my blue neo tank.

muzkm9.jpg

I just love all blue shrimps so to me mixing them doesn't matter.  My daughter just set hers up too with blues and whatever I end up with she will get a lot of them too.  They look like grapes hanging off my green plants first thing in the am when I turn on the lights!

Thanks for advise, I probably try to put female of blue jelly into carbon rili tank and see how baby would look like, need to be patient as it can take a couple months or even more then if the baby will be blue carbon or similar I would mix them together. Need to clear up my 80L tank from red cherries, they too boring and I have around 400 of them now and the population keep growing, it would be difficult to sell them all so I probably through them in my community fish tank and replace them with blue jelly/carbon rily and plus I have F1 crystal shrimps and a lot of them berried now and hopefully they can give me Taiwan bee one day.  Just a little step further in shrimp keeping hobby  :-)

• 2 years later...
On 06.04.2015 at 11:46 PM, Citycode01 said:

Thanks for advise, I probably try to put female of blue jelly into carbon rili tank and see how baby would look like, need to be patient as it can take a couple months or even more then if the baby will be blue carbon or similar I would mix them together. Need to clear up my 80L tank from red cherries, they too boring and I have around 400 of them now and the population keep growing, it would be difficult to sell them all so I probably through them in my community fish tank and replace them with blue jelly/carbon rily and plus I have F1 crystal shrimps and a lot of them berried now and hopefully they can give me Taiwan bee one day.  Just a little step further in shrimp keeping hobby  :-)

hi, did you try to cross blue jelly with carbon rili, and get the results?