look who's berried

monty703

Is that a blue dwarf cray?

Yes a cambarellus diminitus.  I have 6 of them all blue....she's not quite as blue as that pic I used the flash and it makes her bluer, but she's definitely a dark steel blue color.

They are extremely peaceful and don't bother one another, not like CPOs.  About the same size as CPO

I had moved my blue dimi back to the main tank because I thought she'd dropped her eggs.  So the Marina box was sitting on the shelf with some snails in it, and I was about to empty it.  I was taking the snails out to keep for the new mamma's babies when they arrived.

:startle: OMG I disturbed the gravel that was in there trying to grab a small snail and all of a sudden I have this whirlwind of pale things all over the box.  I thought was there shrimps in this box?   Then I got the magnifier out and WOW they are baby crays....and LOTS of them....gotta be twenty or more.  They were popping up backwards all over the tank, and floating back down to the gravel.  I guess Mamma Dimi dropped these a few days before I saw her and I thought she wasn't due for a while.  They are very pale in color, but I guess they get darker as they grow.

I squished up a few of those darn snails for them to eat and watched as a few dived on the meat.  :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...

so update on my Dimis.

I have 15 babies that are growing very well and some look blueish already.

Just checked my main tank and 3 of my big females are berried....WOW.  Going to have a sale

on these soon.  They will only be for Canadian customers as I am not allowed to ship to US, sorry.

My tap water is PH 7.6....yes the males are the ones with the stripe down the back and much smaller too...more of a greyish color.  One of my females is a blue grey, but the other 2 are dark royal blue.

What does your males look like?

I have six of them in a 10 gallon tank with rocks and cave structures I made out of stiff plastic aquarium tubing.   Like the clay condo things for shrimps.  I silicone the cut sections of the tubing together

to make a pyramid, then tied moss around the outside with fishing line.   They love being inside it.

Most of mine turned greyish / brown as well. Haven't tested my pH but they are currently in adakama with tap water. I don't have any free low pH tanks at the moment but most of my babies and juvies are blue.

This is what one of my female first looked like when I first got here in.

post-325-0-98703700-1427835415_thumb.jpe

Do you think your younger ones adjusted then, and that is why the better coloration?

Maybe, I am fairly new to crayfish in general; they are really young though, maybe only a couple weeks old. Will see how the color develops as they grow older but man do they grow fst compared to shrimps.  My first batch is just over a month old and they are around 1.5cm already!

Found one of the juvies from the first batch (pretty sure it as from the above female) in my OEBT tank. They should be around 5 weeks now. Size wise he is a but bigger than his siblings.. Around 1.8cm

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice juvie.   I have just had a sale on mine....they are turning blue now and I have about 14 juvies, some bigger than others which leads me to believe they are females, the smaller ones male.

Just pulled back some hornwort in my cray tank and got flushed with a LOT of new babies!  Tons of them! 

I had 3 females berried all at the same time and I guess they'd dropped them....must be at least 50-60 in there now.

Probably the smallest weakest ones will get eaten by the parents, but I guess Im gonna have another sale soon.

LOL