RO water 9.5 ph

Lyana

Haha, so like the title says, I just got a ro unit without the di on it because I want to use it for drinking too, anyway, the ph coming out tests 9.5! Is that a little crazy or what?

I flushed it good and the water reads tds 4, kh and gh 0. But why is the ph so high? While I was flushing it the ph for 10.5, is it just because the membrane is new?

I know when I got my first RODI, I had to run about 3 gallons of water as recommended by the directions. Have you done this, I know you said you "flushed it good"?

What is the PH of your water prior to running through RODI unit? Also what are you using to the the PH?

Use an air stone and let it bubble for a few hours and see what you get then. Mine comes out of my ro unit at almost pH 9, but goes down about 6.5 after vigorously running air in it for a few hours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It goes in at 8 ph, I'm using api test kit and a ph meter. The pen was just calibrated so I think it's pretty spot on. I'll try running air pump through it.

Just a side note I see you mentioned drinking the RO water. While you can do this it is not recommended long tern nor should it be giver to children. This is due to your body wanting all fluids in it to be at equilibrium. I since the RO water is free of Ca, Mg, etc. Long term use can lead to decalcification of teeth and bones. This is the same reasons we reminerize before it's added to the tanks.

have a gneiss day

Good to know, Meta.

LOL, my husband drank the water I had set out to run an air stone through so now I have to make more water. I still haven't been able to get the system set up yet because I ordered it from purewaterclub and they shorted me one quick connect elbow so I have to wait for one to come in the mail. I have two 10 gallon tanks cycling with tap water right now, they have control soil in them. I think I'm going to move my rilis over there when the tank is cycled.

The tank they're in right now tests at 8.6 ph with my ph pen and they're stilling dropping eggs, but seem healthy and active in every other way.

But is a ph of 6.5 going to be too low for them? I really want a nice colony of these guys.

Just a side note I see you mentioned drinking the RO water. While you can do this it is not recommended long tern nor should it be giver to children. This is due to your body wanting all fluids in it to be at equilibrium. I since the RO water is free of Ca, Mg, etc. Long term use can lead to decalcification of teeth and bones. This is the same reasons we reminerize before it's added to the tanks.

have a gneiss day

If you have a well rounded diet, drinking water RO water should not lead to any mineral deficiencies.  I live on an acreage and use RO water for drinking and cooking, I won't drink RO/DI though.  If you do drink RO for a while, tap and bottled water will taste strange to you.

Haha, so like the title says, I just got a ro unit without the di on it because I want to use it for drinking too, anyway, the ph coming out tests 9.5! Is that a little crazy or what?

I flushed it good and the water reads tds 4, kh and gh 0. But why is the ph so high? While I was flushing it the ph for 10.5, is it just because the membrane is new?

Are you using chemical test kit or pH pen to test the pH?

What I meant is to store the RO water in a separate container for a week. It will be better if you air pump into it.

What you are experiencing is quite abnormal. For RO to have pH swing between 6 to 8 is normal, but in extreme case 5 to 9 is possible. To rule out something is wrong with the RO unit, you need to air the water for awhile to let it stable down with the atmosphere.

Yeah I'm not going to add it to the tank now, I mean after a week will in be more stable? Do I add salty shrimp now or wait a week? The first time I used the ro unit the ph was coming out at 10.5 lol. Now it's 9.5.

After having an airstone in it for about 2 hours the ph dropped to 7.6, I hope nothing is wrong with the unit.

I'm pretty positive RO doesn't lower PH. This has to be done using another method such as aerating, or just ADA soil.

You could use pH 4 calibration liquid for storage too.

RO or distilled water supposed to have pH 7 and it has no buffer in the water. As such, if there is a little bit of alkaline compound or acidic compound, it will have a wild pH swing between 5 to 9. Most of the time, if the water source is hard and there is no dissolved CO2, the pH will be between 7 to 9. After you aerate it, some CO2 dissolved it will start to buffer the water and prevent the pH swing upward. For water source that is soft and contains dissolved CO2, the RO water will be mild acidic (between 5 to 7). After aerate, it will be about pH 6 to 7.

If you aerate it for a day and it is going back to pH 7, then your RO unit should be fine. Is your water source very hard and probably come from somewhere very natural without much processing?

My water source isn't hard but the ph is high. Gh and kh are 5 but ph is 8.2, it comes from an underground aquifer. the ro water in the bucket is testing between 7.1 - 7.6 when I tested it through out today.