Ok, I have started the test to see how well and how long the azoo battery powered air pump does and will go.

link to the product I got http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3693

Cost $4.99 + tax & shipping

used: bucket, double sponge filter, 2 D batteries

Product comes with - unit, air tube, air stone (I didn't use the air stone) - does NOT come with batteries

Test started at 10am on Sunday 4-5-15. I will post updates

post-507-0-13721600-1428258954_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-81495900-1428258954_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-33842200-1428258955_thumb.jpg

post-507-0-80509400-1428258955_thumb.jpg

Thanks - it's nice to know ahead of time right? lol

Almost at the 2 hour mark and no slowing, so at least it's great for the short term. I'm home tomorrow, so I should get a good idea of how long it last. 

Might be worth it to have a valve thing on the air tubing since you can't adjust the flow any other way.

I ran that model for about 36 hours once, so I'll be interested to see how many days you get out of it.

That's good to know :) I'm at 5.5 hours and it's doing fine although I'm going to stick it in my bedroom until I go to bed because it is rather loud. lol

27.5 hours and not even so much as slowing... pretty impressed for $5 (well, the D batteries aren't cheap). I'm forcing myself to suck it up and see how long it goes, just so we all know.

When I'm in the living room, I put it in my bedroom with the door closed. When I go to bed I put it out near the laundry, lol.

The things we do....

Im very interested in this experiment and was considering purchasing some of these for a longer term solution. The battery back up is nice for the peace of mind that it its never interrupts the air flow but for prolonged use this might be cheaper. I am more worried, personally when im out of town for the weekend during the summer. I like to hike and camp and am occaisonally gone for a few days.

Im very interested in this experiment and was considering purchasing some of these for a longer term solution. The battery back up is nice for the peace of mind that it its never interrupts the air flow but for prolonged use this might be cheaper. I am more worried, personally when im out of town for the weekend during the summer. I like to hike and camp and am occaisonally gone for a few days.

I completely agree, I would love to have something that automatically kicks on when the power goes down. I'm still pretty nervous about that. But the cost it out of my range right now (since I would need 3). I guess... If I were to go out of town for 2 days, I could technically just hook these up, but I am usually close to home.

Summer is coming but for my family that means high school football, so we don't go overnight much. 

I'm hoping Soothing can 'whip up' a cheaper version of the auto one :)

Oh I forgot your tanks are not near each other. That is a problem, I have thought about upping the size of my UPS and even if I added another tank or two it would still be pretty resonable for me to use a UPS. Im just not sure how long it would run, the first test was over 4 hours.

Well.... I will have hit the 36 hour mark in 10 mins and it is going strong, double sponge filter and all.  We will see if it is still going when I wake up.

I have to work tomorrow but my son is on spring break so I told him he had to let me know if it stopped... hopefully he will remember. lol

[ side note - I have been meaning to mention that the type of battery could have different outcomes as well. I posted the pic of the batteries I am using]

Great idea for an experiment.

I took a quick look at the academy sports website, their $5 product: "Runs for up to 20 hours on 2 AA batteries (not included); will run off 1 battery"

They have other versions, too, using other battery sizes.

I am guessing other sports/fishing stores would have similar products.

Just jumping in real quick - I called my son and that sucker is still going.

As of 2:00pm (pacific standard time, USA) that is the 52 hour mark.

- Still.... this is just as much a testimony to the batteries since using different ones could have much different outcomes.

35ppt - good to know. The 2AA batteries would likely not run as long since this one runs on two D batteries, so a lot of 'juice' lol 

I'm pretty darn impressed myself although I'm actually looking forward to the end of this experiment, the sound is mind numbing, lol

If I really had to have 3 going (2 in my small bedroom) I would need ear plugs. It would save the shrimp so I would do it, but they really need to come up with a quieter version, ha ha

Oh well... they are worth the $5 in my opinion