Shrimp are dying. Please, someone help

lexi

I thought the 'pebbles' you put in are your substrate?

A filter will remove some particles, but only what it is able to suck up. If there is particles on the bottom of the tank, it can't really get those, so you do periodically have to remove that with a vacuum-- or a piece of airline tube that is a tiny vacuum :)

By the way, sounds like you have a HOB (hang on back) filter, and you need to cover the intake with something to keep the shrimps from getting sucked into it. They are not strong swimmers.

I think the biggest question right now is getting your environment so that you have an established nitrogen cycle.

I do have a HOB filter, but I don't have anything over it because on the box it said it's for shrimp and the filter intake itself is quite fine so none of the shrimp will actually get sucked in, although some shrimps do like sticking to the intake although I'm not sure whether it's because they like something to hold on to or the filter's power is too strong.

I didn't know how to describe my substrate, but it's like tiny pebbles like rice but round.

Yepper.  The nice thing about a forum is that you get a variety of opinions, however we all agree that you need to get your cycle going. :)

I've gone online to find some instructions on how to cycle my tank, and so far some say I should get the chemical while some say I shouldn't use chemicals and should just let the shrimp live there for a while.

To cycle a tank, you will have ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. All of which are harmful to critters-- fish or shrimp. Fish might survive, shrimp less likely.

Other people have been in similar situations - they have shrimp already, but no cycled tank.

I am really not sure what the answer is to this situation, but I feel compelled to give you some direction here.

I guess I would put shrimp in another container (bucket, empty tank) and change water periodically (how often, I really don't know), while you get to cycling a tank.

I believe some of the quick start products on the market now are pretty good, and will speed things along.

Another option might be to return them to the store?

The problem is , even with the quick start products you need a source of ammonia for the bacteria  to thrive on. 

Tetra quickstarts instructions say to add the quickstart, then add the fish almost immediately to continue the bioload .   

She could use quickstart with the shrimp she has.   The only question is, does the shrimp bioload  = enough to keep the bacteria going?

My shrimps seem to be doing fine, so I think I'll just leave them to it in the tank. I've told my sister to help me buy the water testing kit if they have it in the local aquatic shops. She's going to go take a look these few days. My mum isn't letting me go, and I know there is tetra start because I've seen it before. I have 7 shrimp and each day I feed 2 small round pellets.

If they are doing well then let them be.    You said you are feeding 1 - 2 round pellets a day?  what size pellets?    You may be feeding to much which will cause your uncycled water to get toxic.