In the research stage in Tallahassee, FL

rodbigelow

Hello one and all :D As the title suggests I do not have a tank or shrimp or crayfish yet. This all came about because I was redoing my desk area, and decided it would be really nice to have a small planted tank on my desktop. So next came the questions of what to put in it, how large a tank,etc. after finding what I considered a decent tank for the space I had to work with, (the fuval 5 gallon) I began looking at what to put in it. That's when I discovered the wonderful world of shrimp and crayfish.

As I was doing my due diligence in learning about setting up a decent shrimp tank in that size range, my 23 year old severely autistic son went into a crisis situation in the group home he was living at in the Orlando area. As the crisis progressively got worse, when I wasn't dealing with that issue I found my mind wandering over to the shrimp tank and setting up a tank that the shrimp could lead happy little shrimp lives being the best possible shrimp they could be(corrolation much,lol) One thing has lead to another and we will be bringing him back to our local area and I will be his primary caretaker. Something that he has wanted for a long time is for us to have what he calls a "father son" job together, and I'm all for that, he's a decent kid with some complicated problems from his medical condition, but I generally find myself enjoying any time we spend together.

Sooo, among other projects for us to do together as "father son job" I feel rasing and breeding shrimp and crayfish on a small scale would be a great option. Many years ago I bred dart frogs and various lizards, and had a really sweet 20 gallon tall planted fish tank so I'm not a total noob in the area of setting up small ecosystems, but this will be my first foray into freshwater shrimp and crayfish. Fair warning: be prepared for a deluge of questions as I pick your brains on all the matters associated with this subject. I'm no stranger to forums and will search for answers already posted first to keep that to a minimum, but as I'm sure most of you know, sometimes the answers are buried pretty deep and not easily found, so be patient with me as I learn to navigate this site, lol.

With that in mind, and hoping that I don't offend anyone with this, here's my first question(s), and you can just tell me where the answer is if it has already been answered.....

The marbled self cloning crayfish: Is it edible? the reason for that question is I would ultimatley like to set up an aquaponic system and the more food that can be harvested from the entire thing, the better.

Anyway, howdy one and all and I hope to get to know many of you well as I have found many great friends in forums over the years, and thank you administrators for your time and dedication to setting up and maintaining this site so we can all learn from each other.

With Kindest Regards,

Rod W Bigelow

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I would shoot for freshwater prawns in an aquaponic system if I were to harvest for food. The guy in this video has the right idea.

Welcome! I have 4 high functioning autistic kids in this family, so I know some of the emotionally challenges first hand.

I think its great you and he will be working together!

I do shrimp, and have recently been starting with crays as well. And yes. Marbles can be eaten, though not a lot of meat on them.

Again, welcome! :)

Hey Metageologist, don't take this the wrong way because I'm a rockhound, but your name in here reminds me of this Calvin and Hobbes:

Calvin-geologist.jpg

No offense taken. I whish geologists didnt need math. I had classes in college where we were expected to calculate crystalline precipitate rates at a given temp and pressure in our heads. And then tell you what the new rock that formed was.

have a gneiss day

No offense taken. I whish geologists didnt need math. I had classes in college where we were expected to calculate crystalline precipitate rates at a given temp and pressure in our heads. And then tell you what the new rock that formed was.

have a gneiss day

Which is exactly why I am a rockhound instead of a Geologist. Can't do math like that in my head because my dyslexia really comes to the forefront when dealing with number calculations in my head. lol.

On that same topic, is there a spell check option?

I'm not sure if there is one in the forum or not, my phone does it for me. Is you use Internet Explorer look up a program called IE spell it go lives you search function from the right click menu. As far as dyslexia is concerned I know what you mean I have it as well and really struggle when I have to do my budget evaluations every month. I have has had episode's where I wrote every letter backwards and right to left.

have a gneiss day

So many dyslexic's in one place.

I used to struggle so much with it in kitchens with other people's prep lists but now that I make them I'm fine... Its everyone else that has to make sence of them.

Hi Dendrobatez! Been meaning to say hey since I saw your name and avatar posted on another topic. I used to breed darts many,many years ago and I love the social aspect and climbing of the bumblebee darts. Plus that bird like call.

this place is great and I'm learning tons of stuff and very glad I decided to take my time and research first. On that note however:

Anyone: I stumbled across a filtration system that I loved and want to incorporate last night and didn't bother to write down the name of it because I thought I could easily find where it was...yeah, not so much.......anyway, it's a filtration set up that involves a large block of foam fitted across near one end of the tank and a small water area and place for pump behind it, what is the name of that style filtration?

I bred them a lot between '04-10, I got out of it because college a full time job and internships took too much of my time, on the plus side selling off my collection paid off a huge chunck of my tuition. The only pair I have at the moment is a Luecomelas (male is my profile pic) they are wild caught and supposed to be the only import from this specific locale

Welcome Rod! We are glad to have you, I am only about an hour and a half away from Tallahassee.

Welcome Rod! We are glad to have you, I am only about an hour and a half away from Tallahassee.

Just spent awhile on your you-tube channel checking out the vids. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post those. I love the idea of aquascaping. I'm a very creative person and the thought of making these Eco-systems and laying out wonderful scenery that will please me and my son and make the shrimp happy little campers gets me practically too excited to remember to breath :lol: