Are there any brand name products you consider essential?

maylee

By that, I don't necessarily mean which brands of equipment you like to use, although I wouldn't mind seeing those as well.

I'm mostly referring to things like manufactured foods and supplements (glasgartern bacter ae, borneowild products, shirakura, etc)

I'm still pretty new to the hobby. At first, I wanted to try every product out there. Now, I feel like it's probably best to keep things simple. But there still might be some products that really do help.

The one product I find now essential is snowflake food. Haven't met a shrimp that doesn't like it yet. I know there are several different brands of it out there. I've tried a couple different ones. They all appear to be just as good as the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maylee, this is my opinion, but one of the most important products in my book is a bacterial product, especially when setting up a new aquarium. Whether it be MK-Breed Z-Silver Powder, Bacter AE by Glas-Garten, Bacter 100 by ADA, etc. beneficial bacteria is necessary and these products house exactly that. Not only do these products aid in the cycling process, but you can even use Bacter AE as a food source for your shrimp and a way to promote biofilm.

as much as i like this topic i feel that everyone has their own opinion, which is great because that means that with all of the different products out there they all seem to work.  That being said these are my essentials that work for me.  SL Aqua blue Wizard remineralizer, Purigen, and Glasgarten Bacter AE.  And going with what DETA said above, i used to use bacter ae on water changes, but have begun to up the dosing and found that the biofilm and green algae have increased dramatically and my shrimp seem way happier with stuff to pick at.

For me personally I just use the MK Breed product line. From MK's food supplmenets MK Breed cheeseburger does really well for me and for bacterial products MK Breed Z-Silver does its job quite well. I find that liquid re-mineralizer like MK Breed Blue Diamond and Blood Diamond makes my life easier when it comes to water change, since I have 40+ tanks ranging from 10 gal to 45s.

I do have snowflake food and bacter ae. Bacter AE was one of the first products I bought when I started. I find that when I dose it, the shrimp will ignore other foods :P

I know they seem to love snowflake. I just wasn't sure how nutritious it was for them since they seem to finish it before any fungus grows on them lol. 

Well what can I say bostoneric, the only product I use is Mk Breed products!!

It's not a manufactured food but I forgot to mention indian almond leaves. I was skeptical since the shrimp didn't seem to be interested in them at all at first. But 3-4 weeks later, they start breaking down and they love them. 

shrimp dont directly consume IALs, they are consuming the bacteria breaking down the leaf.

things like mulberry and spinach are more directly consumed by the shrimp.

I like leaves of all kinds, a true bacteria like bt-9 or shrimp nature bacteria, monitrollimite(sp) clay. A micro element, a humic/humus additive to mimic natural conditions, a reliable remineralizer, a baby food or 2 i like a veg/animal protein, and a bio/bacter. Im sure im forgetting a few things.