Best way to feed mulberry leaves

Hi i would like to ask whats the best way to feed mulberry leaves? Fresh or dried? here is what i did.

Fresh mulberry leaves plucked from my rooftop garden, i used no pesticides or fertz. Clean the leaves under running water then boil them for 5 mins then dipped in cold water to room temp then feed to my shrimp.

I noticed they werent as active in picking on them should i dry them and just toss them in the tank? If so how long should i dry them for? Thanks

When I feed mulberry I always boil for 5 mins and when I add it to the tank they go for it right away. After about a half hour they seem to lose interest, a couple days go by with casual grazing then usually the third day they go absolutely ballistic fighting each other over it.

I wouldn't boil leaves. Treat them like tea and steep them, I heat water in a Pyrex dish in the microwave for around one min add leaves and let them sit for a few hours.

I recently started using Shrimp Nature Mulberry Leaves. As the bag doesn't require any sort of boil treatment, I just toss them in. They absolutely love them.

You guys are missing the basic question:

"Hi i would like to ask whats the best way to feed mulberry leaves?"

You don't feed the leaves. They have no mouths.

Instead, give them to shrimp to eat. [emoji14]

Good one. Guess my grammar was all messed up. After a grueling 12 hr shift lol... what i meant was whats a good way to prepare mulberry leaves as shrimp food... feed fresh leaves directly? Blanch them? Steep them for a few hour dry them for a few days before feeding them? Hehehehe...

So I guess there is a difference in sugars in leaf types? Because I thought for other leaves in particular (like oak) you were supposed to wait for them to naturally senesce (i.e fall off tree) to reduce sugars and chlorophyll. This reduces the fouling that might occur when you put leaf in tank.

I will note that the mulberry leaves I picked just before my tree dropped them (still green), these leaves are still green after being dried. They do not appear to foul the water, altho I use them in very small doses just because I try not to overfeed and have to clean up uneaten stuff.

From my experiment with other leaves (dandelion, arugula, etc) you can put them in fresh, but a quick hot water treatment or trip to the deep freeze makes them available to the shrimps sooner. Sometimes my shrimp won't ever get round to eating the 'fresh' leaves, tho.

I toss in the dried leaves.  They still seem to like them.  It takes about 3 days that way for them to graze them to gone.   The Amaranth leaves I zap in the microwave and squeeze the drops of water into the tank.. it starts a frenzy and they finish the leaf in a couple hours.

Tantora just changed their mulberry leaves. the previous "model" was fresh hand picked leaves. now they go through a boiling process so less things for the consumer to do. 

now you can just drop them right in. 

Tantora just changed their mulberry leaves. the previous "model" was fresh hand picked leaves. now they go through a boiling process so less things for the consumer to do. 

glad to know... reason i was aking was my mulberry tree here is just going nuts and got an abundant supply of leaves... was thinking of ways to properly prep the leaves for shrimp feeding:)

you guys mentioned freezing them to rupture the cell walls.... would it help if i were to pluck some fresh leaves and rinse them under tap water to rid them from any surface contaminants... place them in a ziplock bag and freeze them? then just pick out a few frozen leaves to feed?

Is there any way to know if I have the "new" or "old" version?  I suspect old since I bought my bags about 8 months ago or so, but just thought I'd ask.  Ironically, I just fed some to my tanks tonight.  I've always done the 5 minute boil, and never had any issues.  But, it'll be nice to save that step in the future once I know I have the pre-boiled packs.

Is there any way to know if I have the "new" or "old" version?  I suspect old since I bought my bags about 8 months ago or so, but just thought I'd ask.  Ironically, I just fed some to my tanks tonight.  I've always done the 5 minute boil, and never had any issues.  But, it'll be nice to save that step in the future once I know I have the pre-boiled packs.

You would have the old style for sure they came out more recently.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...