OK fish heads, I need your help

I just can't win the fight against the green "fruit-looking" flies.........after skimming the surface yesterday, I covered any gaps around my airlines & water-return with a towel, to try and determine how said flies were getting into my tank.  It's pretty clear to me now that they are reproducing on top of the water and on the surface of my glass top, and at a rate faster than I can battle.  Trapping them with apple cider vinegar isn't working at all, to date this method hasn't yielded even a single fly.  It appears to me the issue is that the larvae are already in the water, and until I can fully rid them from the tank, they will continue to re-emerge.

My only thought now is to look to the assistance of fish to eradicate them from my system.  The tank's only inhabitants are ~26 juvenile shrimp (TBs and mischlings), and there shouldn't be any babies to worry about for some time.  I'm hoping someone here can offer up some good candidates that will help rid me of this problem.  This is a 40 gallon breeder, with 16 inch height, meaning most shrimp are in the bottom half of the tank the majority of the time.  Lighting is a finnex stingray.

I realize shrimp-safe fish have been discussed several times, but I'm not really looking to find long-term inhabitants.  I'd like to know if there are any small-mouth or surface-feeding fish that would be suitable for this role, once under control I plan to move them to another tank and only use as necessary.  

-Hatchetfish?

-Hockey stick pencilfish?

-Guppies?

-Tetras?  (I already own 3 pristellas)

-Other suggestions?

Ryeguy, I know you battled these guys before you sent them my way to sabotage things :)  Do you consider them to be juvie-shrimp safe?

Still interested in opinions on hatchetfish and pencilfish, as from what I gather they spend all their time in the top of the water column.  

Love the ideas guys, keep them coming, want to hear everyone opinions.

I use to have a bunch in my room. And somehow later they disappeared. What i did was clean up all my tanks lights wires etc. Anything that the fish water might have touched and slowly kill the bugs manually.and soon they all were gone.

Awesome stuff Serenityfate, this makes sense. I'm believe they are hatching from surfaces like you mentioned....really starting to think condensation on the underside of my glass top is a big contributor. My tank is in my basement, which is a pretty constant 68 degrees. I've been keeping the tank at 73F, and the water temp and slight warmth from my light (just a finnex stingray) creates enough of a temperature difference there is considerable moisture buildup. Yesterday I added a small fan directed at the light fixture to see if reducing light heat would lower condensation.

I also added three baby/small guppies, and saw them eat flies/larvae from the surface, as well as nematodes, which I also wanted to control. They are about the same size as my juvie shrimp and haven't so much as looked at one......I'm prepared to yank them if they ever look like they are even thinking about it.

There are considerably less flies today, I'm continuing down this pathway until I'm sure these guys are finished. Thanks everyone for the ideas, I still want to hear anyone's thoughts as I'm not out of the woods yet.

Do you consider them to be juvie-shrimp safe?

Still interested in opinions on hatchetfish and pencilfish, as from what I gather they spend all their time in the top of the water column.

Chili rasboras do have tiny mouths and won't bother the shrimp after they are too large to swallow but they are always actively hunting (in my tanks) so they can do some damage one newborns.

I have some hockey stick pencils and their mouths are about the same size as the rasboras. They spend most of their time floating absolutely still about 2/3 up in the aquarium staring at the surface waiting for food to catch their eye. They have bursts of energy when going after food and can be faster than the rasboras, they do a good job at getting rid of mosuito larva/daphnia/white worms anything really but take longer because they don't go to the substrate as often.

I've tried endler fry but they seem pretty stupid compared to most fish and their hunting style is just random chance.