GOOD suction cups?

I have to credit this to hmoob thor on youtube. I remember watching his video on using magnet clips instead of the suction cups

That might be one option perhaps?

edit - I just searched for this product on amazon and at $9, it's more expensive than I thought. Hmmm. Back to the drawing board

I have to credit this to hmoob thor on youtube. I remember watching his video on using magnet clips instead of the suction cups

edit - I just searched for this product on amazon and at $9, it's more expensive than I thought. Hmmm. Back to the drawing board

I use those for all of my inlet and outlet pipes on my canisters.  Expensive but work great and don't need replacing every year like Eheim suction cups.

This is originally what I was going to do months ago, however when I looked into it, for the same cost I could get an on the ground Hydro filter.  The cost is too prohibitive for more than a couple tanks for me right now.

What's the exact reason I use slate weight based sponge filter.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reminder Sarah.

My idea was to take two donut magnets and put them to use.  One would have the suction cup nub of the sponge filter put into the hole and on the other side of the glass the 2nd magnet would keep it in place.

Here's a pic of the mags I bought:

post-2-0-65734100-1439138492_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271561376300?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The problem is I tried it, but the attraction between magnets is not strong enough to hold down the sponge filter wanting to float.

I still think this could be done if I could find stronger magnets of this type....

I still think this could be done if I could find stronger magnets of this type....

Would something from here work? https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

They have a few plastic-coated ones with holes.

I am considering this to hold up my supplemental filter basket in case the hooks I just ordered don't work (http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3867-supplemental-filter-basket-project/page-2#entry57216).