Ladyshrimpers!

linda.m.amundsen.1

Shout out to all the LADY shrimpers out there! How long ya been shrimpin'

Me=1 week (I did spend a couple months with a trio of amanos doing tons of research-evidently, not enough)!

Good to meet ya! Gotta love a fellow 'crazy'!

New to it myself. I originally bought the aquarium to house african dwarf frogs. While I was cycling the tank and researching the options for a clean up crew I came across these guys and totally fell in love. Ditched the idea of the frogs and adjusted my setup for a shrimp only tank. I got 11 Taiwan Fire Reds 3 weeks ago and currently have 4 berried females. I'm looking forward to a tank full of little ones and have started plans for a second tank. They are so much fun to watch!

fids = furred, feathered, and finned kids!

Similar to Trotwood, I started with African dwarf frogs. Then I started to look for tank mates for the frogs which lead to nerite snails and ghost shrimp. Then from ghost shrimp, I discovered red cherry shrimp.

A few hundred dollars later, here I am :P . Now I just want to stick with shrimp and only shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to be included in this exclusive group! I started by wanting to find something interesting for the kids who visit my office to see. It has grown from one 20L to hundreds of gallons in a short time. Hopefully I can not only catch up but keep up with all of you as well.

You can add me to this group too!   I have kept every type of shrimp for the last 5 years.  Im not an expert either.  Shrimp keeping is a learning curve and sometimes even when you think you know what your doing, life throws you a biggie and you have to sit back and re-think what you know!

This forum is one of the best I have ever been on (3 so far) and I like that the hobbyists here don't think you are dumb because you are a newbie or a woman!  They have respect and graciousness enough to help you out when things go wrong (and they will, believe me)  I can't tell you how much $$$$ of money Ive spent on equipment, food, soil and the shrimps themselves over these years. It would have paid for a REALLY nice vacation somewhere.

I am very lucky to have a Hubby who likes to indulge me in my hobby and as long as it keeps me happy he lets me do whatever I want.  Ive bred and sold some shrimps over the years to help me upgrade and pay for the shrimps I want.  Now I concentrateon breeding Black Spotted headed pinto mischlings/pintos and fancy red tigers.  I like the challenge.

We are so lucky to have a group with varied levels of experience here. I am "chompin' at the bit" to get into some tigers, bees , and crystals but I barely have neos in my tank and this is my second attemp (first with the big setup) so I want to make certain I can manage these first. I tend to panic everytime I look at the tank and the shrimp are relatively quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ladies. It has been about a year since I have started with shrimp, but I had been wanting them for years. Last year I went for it and dove into cherry shrimp and there is no turning back. Even got my sister to start with shrimp so we always have something to talk about. Now planning on getting more shrimp... because like cats, you just can't have one...

• 2 weeks later...

Relative newbie here, shrimping since May! I'm an ecology nerd, so it started out with attempts at making tiny ecosystems and took off from there.

Had a bit of a rough start and wish I found this forum sooner. You all rock!

Hello everyone,

You can add me to the list of ladies. I have been keeping shrimp for about a year and a half. I started with cherries and became addicted. I also kept several fish tanks. My first ever fish tank was a 29g that had Platy, Swordtails, and Guppies.