Supplemental filter basket project

I’d love some feedback on my new project for my 20 gallon long fish/amano tank:

I am planning to copy this idea, but without using filter floss: http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/randy_lei/media/shrimp/2012/20120521hob/IMG_1458.jpg.html

I bought one of these plastic baskets: http://www.amazon.com/interDesign-Plastic-Suction-Sponge-Scrubber/dp/B00004S1DJ and have ordered some Seachem Matrix biomedia to fill it.

I’ll stick it right below the outflow from my Aquaclear HOB to add additional filtration (especially since I’ve read that matrix also removes nitrates) and to slow down the current a bit.

I don’t know how small the matrix pieces are, but I’m probably going to put them in a filter bag anyway to make removal/rinsing easier.

I would like to somehow camouflage this in my tank by tying some sort of plant/moss to the front. I bought one of those bath poufs, but I have no idea how to use it. Do you guys think subwassertang might work? 

I used one of those baskets too. It looks cool if you add plants to it.

Did you tie plants to the front, or are you talking about having a riparium setup with plants coming out of the top? I would love to do that, but I have escape-artist Amanos, so I have a tight lid   :(

Riparium style looks very nice in a basket like your set up. I know amanos are great escape artists. I found mine about 20 ft away from my tank one day.

Just an update -

post-1734-0-20778700-1434411338_thumb.jp

The basket and matrix are in place. This has definitely slowed down the current from the filter outflow.

I think I have been killing the sword plant in the back left corner by having bubbles coming up behind it 24hrs/day. I have switched it to nights only now, but I am going to replace it with a double sponge filter instead. This should provide more water flow in the tank as well.

Now I need to find a way to camouflage that filter basket - it's so bright! Any ideas??

Your tank looks great!

I like it, too! The driftwood is pretty. I am going to try this project, too, sarah, thanks for the kickstart (and photos!!).

I think you could use the mesh scrubbie and wrap mosses onto the basket, but I feel like it might work better using a piece of plastic canvas, and tie moss to it. Not sure if it is too much flow for them?? The canvas could be easily removed, if needed. Would java ferns grow on it? Mine seem to do OK in high flow areas.

BTW, plastic canvas also comes in black...

Thanks, guys!

The driftwood is going to eventually become a "tree" if I can find the right moss to cover it.

For covering the filter basket - I like the idea of tying moss to plastic canvas (I have lots left over from covering the holes in my tank lid). I have tons of Java moss in my RCS tank, but I really hate how much it spreads. Is there a different inexpensive moss type that would work well for this purpose?

Now I am wondering if the location would be too much light for moss...

That's my concern too. I had originally tied a small piece of mini pellia to the top of the driftwood, and the light fried it. So I need to find some high-light-tolerant moss for both locations.

I still really like the look of subwasserstang. Would that tolerate the high light?

Depends how your water flows out from your filter. Does it go straight down, or forward a little? If it doesn't go straight down, having all that depth probably won't help much (and may just be a waste of filter media).

Even with my relatively shallow one, I worry a bit that the stones at the bottom aren't getting much water flow.

I'm just here to bad mouth a seller and make sure you don't order from them!

For the basket, I got mine from MidAtlantic Merchant. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

I ordered on Jun 10th, It was 3-4 day processing time. They provided shipping label June 15th. Today is June 17th and still no acceptance scan! If that aint bad service, I don't know what is. Been a week already and still not yet shipped.

I'm just here to bad mouth a seller and make sure you don't order from them!

For the basket, I got mine from MidAtlantic Merchant. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

I ordered on Jun 10th, It was 3-4 day processing time. They provided shipping label June 15th. Today is June 17th and still no acceptance scan! If that aint bad service, I don't know what is. Been a week already and still not yet shipped.

Good to know.

I bought mine in person at Bed Bath & Beyond because it was much cheaper that way, and I wanted to make sure the dimensions were right.

• 1 month later...

This is a good idea. However, algae will grow on your Matrix media. You need to dark coloured cover at the top or put a sponge above Matrix to shield away the light. ;)

You are right - brown algae did grow on them. It actually wasn't so bad, because it made the stones look brown instead of that crazy bright white. The basket blended into the background a lot better.

But now I need a new plan since the basket won't stay up under the filter outflow.