what is happening with my crystals?

sewoeno

I've had my shrimp for a while now. I had one berry up in november, no surviving babies. another berried in feb. again no survivors. haven't had ANYTHING happen in the tank since. i know i have females, since they were all pregnant end of summer last year.

params: ph 6.4 gh6 kh0-1 tds154 amm0 ni0 na0 distilled water remin with SL-AQUA products.

substrate is a mix of fluval & controsoil. had mineral balls from ebay, but took them out the other day.

i'm at such a loss as to what is happening with my shrimpies. it makes no sense. any ideas? advice? i'll take anything at this point.

What's your tank temp at, and have you changed any food sources?

What a doozy, I'll be following this for sure.

My first guess is what is your temperature and when/how often do you perform water changes?

Let's see if we can solve the mystery.

This kind of issue is always hard to diagnose.

Tank temp? Is it stable?

Feeding regime? Have you tried bumping up the protein? Did you feed baby powders when there was babies?

Number of shrimp? I find that when there is less than about a dozen shrimp in the tank, it take forever for things to happen. Not sure why.

tank temp stays around 68-70 it did spike one week recently to 75. there are about 25 shrimp in the tank.. i feel all sl aqua products including magic powder and baby plus bacter ae. no scuds in the tank. water changes every week or two.. lately its been weekly since i've been so annoyed with it. honestly it has all been the same for months

I want to say high GH maybe be the problem. A GH of 8 to 10 could cause failure to molt deaths in young bee shrimp. Maybe the Shrimp Balls where affecting the GH over time.

I want to say high GH maybe be the problem. A GH of 8 to 10 could cause failure to molt deaths in young bee shrimp. Maybe the Shrimp Balls where affecting the GH over time.

I find that molting issues is probably #1 causes of death in shirmp. Most of my bee shrimp death are due to failure to molt. Try lowering GH to see if that helps.

I had identical issue and I asked people here to help, here the link http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3604-need-your-advice-please/#entry50019

Things gone well now and I have plenty babies and berried females, even have 5 bkk from one mischling.

It's can be a different story for you but I suggest to check filtration first - over filtration is working very good for shrimps. Make sure you have slight water movement and no dead spots - I believe if you have weak current the water can be polluted in certain area due to lack of water exchange from filter. The water should be super clean almost invisible like an air with plenty biomedia in the filter and good aerated, air driven sponge filter is essential.

my sponge is in the middle of the tank and there are no dead areas... but i thought this morning. maybe it was my osmocote+ tabs i had used. its the only thing i forgot i did add moooonths ago. BUT. i have it with my cherries and they are breeding just fine. so i have no idea!

Ok! I think I have an idea. It seems that your doing everything right, parameters look good. So over the next week or two I would slowly adjust your temperature to a steady 73-75 degrees. Why? Colder temperatures prolong the life of shrimp this is because cold water can hold more dissolved oxygen than warm. Warmer temperatures will increase breeding activity, this is why many breeders keep temperatures as high as 77-78 degrees when inducing breeding.  

So the trade off, colder temperatures longer lifespan, less breeding activity. Warmer temperatures increase breeding activity, lower lifespan.

See if this helps, be sure to raise the temperature gradually, not immediately.

The zero survival rate of babies sure is perplexing.

As much as stability is your goal under normal circumstances, perhaps a careful experimentation with altering things may get things going again. I'd be reluctant to raise the temperature, but if it truly does increase breeding activity (?), then perhaps...

well out of frustration and a few of my crystals losing white and looking 'milky' i pulled out my favorites and am acclimating them to my TB tank which seems more stable with successful molts more often. i'm treating with melafix in the tank now (robert lupton did with no deaths) so its an experiment. tank temps are actually at 72 lately.

lets see if this changes anything. if not, its no loss since they aren't breeding anyways right?!?!?!

my sponge is in the middle of the tank and there are no dead areas... but i thought this morning. maybe it was my osmocote+ tabs i had used. its the only thing i forgot i did add moooonths ago. BUT. i have it with my cherries and they are breeding just fine. so i have no idea!

It is possible that the osmocote, being a time release formula, has slowly accumulated some mineral to lethal levels. Osmocote plus is 0.05% copper.

I never had any breeding at all in my high tech planted tank with osmocote and EI dosing.

One thing that has greatly increases the survival rate of my young in all my tanks has been an air stone.

I would originally have 4-6 survive from a batch of 20 and after adding airstones to all my tanks I triple survival rate.

This is not 100% thing I'm just saying what worked for me.

One thing that has greatly increases the survival rate of my young in all my tanks has been an air stone.

I would originally have 4-6 survive from a batch of 20 and after adding airstones to all my tanks I triple survival rate.

This is not 100% thing I'm just saying what worked for me.

On the same note, I use canister filters on all my aquariums. The hard thing for me at the time was how to produce more oxygen in the water column. Even with the spray bar it agitated the water but not enough to constantly break the water. So, I came across a thread on here that talked about the Choice Bubbler, it is an air diffuser that increases the oxygen level in water, its adjustable, and does not need an air pump. It was what I have been looking for, for months!

I can honestly tell you I noticed quite a large increase in the survival rate of the last two batches of Taiwan bee shrimplets. This will be on all my shrimp tanks going forward.