New Guy question: what is all the white flakey food?

Faralon

Yep, aquariumlover10 is right on the money.  It's a dietary supplemental food for shrimp.  They just kind of graze on it when they feel like it, and it just slowly gets munched away.  I humorously think of it as celery for shrimp.  It has some nutritional benefits for them, but I think they'd have to eat an awful lot of it to cause them harm.  It's a popular vacation food to give them as well as it will take them a while to get through it, and they can safely self feed on it.  It's pretty funny stuff.  The first time I put it in my tank, I was like, "this is it"?  The shrimp didn't show the same fascination as with other food, and the pellet just sat there.  Then I went and tended to something else, came back like 3 minutes later, and went, "Oh, look, a snowball exploded in my tank!"

Don't mean to steal the thread, but where is the cheapest place to order snowflake food from? I plan to order other shrimp food as well. Just new to shrimp and don't yet know all the best websites to order shrimp stuff from.

I actually purchased HAN snowflake food. I don't know if there is a difference between his food and SL Aqua snowflake, but it looks the same and my shrimp go crazy for it. They continually graze on it until it's all gone. Sometimes it takes a full day. Just depends on how much I put in. Han sells his snowflake $3 for 10g, $6 for 25g, and $10 for $50g. He also sells a sample of it for $1. Check his website to clarify all that. hanaquatics.com

Don't mean to steal the thread, but where is the cheapest place to order snowflake food from? I plan to order other shrimp food as well. Just new to shrimp and don't yet know all the best websites to order shrimp stuff from.

Depending on how many tanks and shrimp you have, I'd say get from HAN 

http://www.hanaquatics.com/han-snowflake/

He has 3 different sizes. 10g is A LOT though it sounds small

My PRL destroy this stuff, it doesn't last more than an hour in there, no matter how much I seem to add. They devoured an entire pellet within an hour yesterday (~50 PRL).