Meat protein?

Wow, I just learned something. I literally lost another shrimp (Orange Rili) in a Marina (have 3 boxes setup) last night. As usual, there were 2 fresh molts in there as well. The shrimp looked freshly dead and the abdomen was being chewed on.

They have lots to eat in there but it may be too crowded. Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to reduce the numbers in the boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best way to use breeder boxes is only putting shrimp in their you want to breed. once the female becomes berried release them back into the tank.

I've used them with either m/f only or m and a couple females. but also ensure their are hiding places and such.

OK, what are we talking about?

Meat or proteins from an animal source?

Many people consider meat to be from an mamalian source, such as beef or pork. Mammalian meat is not good for shrimps. It contains high amounts of proteins that are not found in the natural enviroment of shrimps, such as mammalian-specific collagens. Because shrimps did not evolve to digest proteins from mammalian sources, they can not break them up very well.

Proteins from aquatic animals (worms, snails, fish, other crustaceans, etc.) are a different story. Their proteins can be digested more easily. Of course you don't want to overfeed in any case.

I caught my Caridina sulawesi shrimps  eating a fish body (yellow rasbora/Microdevario kubotai) a few days ago (see picture). They loved it. I am sure that this was a good protein source for them.

post-245-0-77154200-1437868233_thumb.jpg

I fed San Francisco Bay Brand blood worms/ mosquito larva today everyone seemed to like it. I mushed them up a bit so they could rip at the blood worms.

I'd really like to cultivate my own earth worms and dehydrate them and start using it for my supplemental  protein source. Maybe experiment with meal worms and wax worms.

I think in nature they occasionally come across dead fish, amphibians, snails, shrimp, insects, worms as part of there natural diet.

The key to anything in life is balance.   

I'd really like to cultivate my own earth worms and dehydrate them and start using it for my supplemental  protein source. Maybe experiment with meal worms and wax worms.

Earthworms are probably fine. I would not try meal worms or wax worms. They are hard to digest. I kept salamanders for some years and even for those meal worms or wax worms are not recommended.

I use earthworm powder as a source of protein in my powder food mix for my shrimp. It's an excellent source of protein for shrimp. Here's a little info on it

http://www.earthwormvietnam.com/?frame=news_detail&id=82